Before you begin your group working task it is important to agree on a set of open and fair group rules. These rules should set out clearly what is expected of each member with shared obligations and responsibilities.
A Ground Rules Agreement will help you develop and maintain an all-for-one approach to team work. It will also help you avoid any group conflict or arguments further down the line.
When devising your Ground Rules Agreement, you may wish to include areas such as:
- Respect the views of others
- Everyone's opinion counts
- Shared responsibilities and workloads
- Prepare for meetings and set agendas
- Co-operate and compromise - Be generous and inspiring- Don't compete with each other!
- Meet deadlines and keep record
- Respect the ground rules agreement - don't ignore it!
Here is a Ground Rules Template you can use or adapt to suit your team.
Adapted from: Hopkins, D. and Reid, T., 2018. The Academic Skills Handbook: Your Guide to Success in Writing, Thinking and Communicating at University. Sage.