fun-E-genomics blog

Using big data computational approaches to analyse genomes of diverse species

University of Bath delegation visit to Mexico: Great experience!

📥  Lab News

I had the great honour of taking part on the University of Bath delegation to Mexico two weeks ago. This was a great experience for me and had the chance to meet great colleagues at Bath as well as visiting some of the top Research and Higher education venues in Mexico. Caroline Baylon who lead the delegation did a great job organising very interesting meetings at each institution we visited.

I am grateful to the Dean of the Faculty of Science for trusting me with this visit and to Emma Perry who took care of logistics of my travel.

During my one week visit I had the chance to visit and or meet with academics and directives from several of the most important Institutes and Centres in the life sciences at the National University in Mexico including:

Instituto de Ciencias Biomedicas

Instituto de Ecologia

Instituto de Biologia

Centro de Ciencias Genomicas

I also had the chance to visit the wonderful facilities of the National Institute for Genomic Medicine, INMEGEN with Director Xavier Soberon giving us a tour around the research labs.

Together we identified a lot of potential common interests for collaborations which I have shared with my Department to be followed on.

On the day before last we visited the campus at Mexico City for the Tecnologico de Monterrey, we were made to feel very welcome there and there are many plans for student exchange which Caroline and her team are negotiating.