Morning Prayer - Soul Care

Posted in: Uncategorised

This week sees the transition into the next academic year.  The freshers have arrived - students and their parents appeared on campus over six days, which resulted in a well organised start to a new semester. I have just been looking for a blog I wrote on soul care in the spring. These weekly blogs are an interesting look back at our lives and thinking during Lockdown, and while we've moved forward, the need for daily soul care is as great now as it was then. You can read that blog at:

https://blogs.bath.ac.uk/chaplains-latest-reflection/2020/05/19/the-daily-rhythm-of-soul-care/

There I wrote:

A group of us from the chaplaincy have started to meet on zoom for morning prayer.  At 9.00 am we convene, say a brief hello, and then start the service of the day. This has a seasonal structure, and we fall into a rhythm of familiarity.  There are set readings – a psalm, and one from the Old and New Testament. We are learning the value of letting the words flow over us – and not allowing conversation to interrupt. One person’s idea may not be in tune with what the Lord is saying to someone else. We do occasionally comment and feedback afterwards - but during we have learnt to make room for the Holy Spirit – promised by Jesus - to speak.

This group continued to meet during August while I was off.  I was so thrilled to see their desire to keep going. This morning we have launched the first joint CU – Chaplaincy Morning prayer. We will use the modern language Common Worship liturgy.  I am most excited.  It is good to teach and experience this contribution to the rhythm of soul care. We plan to do this on Zoom and livestreamed (on the University of Bath Chaplaincy facebook page) every Thursday at 8.30 am.

And what a wonderful set of readings today.  There is much anxiety at the moment – and added to that, two students are missing and need our prayers. I chose the following verses for my daily encouragement: Paul’s great insight:

“Now, what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.” (Acts 17: 23b)

And we can read (and pray) in Jesus name:

Fret not. Trust in the Lord and be doing good. Dwell in the land and be nourished with truth.
Commit your way to the Lord and he will bring it to pass.
Be still. Wait. Do not fret.
When your steps are guided by the Lord, and you delight in his way,
Though you stumble, you shall not fall headlong,
for the Lord holds you fast by the hand.  (Psalm 37)

Posted in: Uncategorised