Rest, Restore... Return

Posted in: Uncategorised

Pat and I have recently been away – our first holiday this year. We went to Beauly, North Scotland, via Glencoe, Fort William, the Glenfinnan monument and viaduct (a famous train journey) and Mallaig. Great views across the sea, to distant islands and far horizons. What lies beyond…?  Morning walks in the moist forests and lanes, breakfast and then days away. One day we walked in Glen Affric, in an ancient Caledonian forest – birch and pine trees there since the last ice age – a sense of exploring, and reconnecting with God.

As we started I journaled:   Rest, Restore, Re-group, Return, Re-wire – familiar prayers to anyone coming away from their “front line” after a tough time.  My daily log entry was “I am sorry, I repent, fill me… “.  I reflected on the fruit of the Spirit - a couple each day: Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control.

It was a great trip.

On my return I started daily reflection on Psalm 119. This is a devotional psalm on the Word of God as the words of life. The NIV study Bible notes say that the author (maybe a priest) is passionate for God and this word, aware of his errant ways, knows the pain and fruits of God’s corrective discipline, and has been ridiculed by those who disregard this word. Two aspects are interwoven – God’s directives (calling for obedience) and God’s promises (calling for faith). There are twenty-two 8-verse stanzas. There are echoes of psalm 19.

As I have reflected before in this blog, the psalms were known by Jesus. So as we journey through our lives, we can read them in His light.

From stanza 1:

Blessed are those whose way is pure, who walk in the law of the Lord.
Blessed are those who keep his testimonies,
and seek him with their whole heart.
Oh, that my ways were made so direct, that I might keep your statutes. (1,2,5)

And from Stanza 2:

How can people keep their way pure? By living according to your word. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands (9,15,10).

And from Stanza 3:

Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law.
Your statues are my delight; they are my counsellors (18, 24).

Coming back to work was tough. I was so relaxed – and full of Scottish air. The pressure of gearing up again threatened to overwhelm. Then I met a colleague Paul who, coming to visit for lunch on a wet day, reminded me of the promises of God, and the gift of the Holy Spirit. He calls us, to join with him in his work.  As Paul writes: “The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it” (1 Thess 5: 24).

So let us be encouraged.

Nigel

Posted in: Uncategorised