Congratulations Steve

Posted in: Computing Services, SAMIS

Congratulations to SAMIS Developer, Steve Wyatt who has graduated with a first class degree in BSc (Hons) in Applied Computing. We recently caught up with Steve to discuss his achievements.

What qualification did you study?

I studied for a BSc Honours degree in Applied Computing.

When did you start it?

The BSc course of study required a foundation degree which I had to obtain first, so the study started in 2009. After receiving the foundation degree I was able to ‘top-up’ to a BSc (Hons) degree which, took a further 2 years of part-time study.

Did Computing Services help?

Yes I wouldn’t have been able to do this without them. I needed to attend the lectures for 1  afternoon per week over 34 weeks of each academic year. I was allowed the time to do this and I was assisted with the course fees and materials. As well as this I was able to tap in the knowledge of my colleagues who, whether they know it or not helped me get the degree. The support from the management and my colleagues was  incredible and I have a debt of gratitude to everyone.

What parts of the course did you find enjoyable and useful for your role?

I would estimate that 90% the Applied Computing modules linked directly my current role. Covered in depth:

• Database development and management
  • Managing financial resources
  • Project management
  • Unified Modelling Languages (use-cases and the like)
  • Human Computer Interaction
  • Threaded programming and concurrency
  • Advanced web
  • Managing services and customers

I really enjoyed most if not all the subjects covered but it did spark a keen academic interest in cyber-warfare and cyber-crime. These were lectured and researched in depth and whenever I now develop a front facing service my tin foil hat goes on to think how it will be exploited or attacked.

Anything else you like to add?

It was hard work both for myself, my family and my colleagues. Sometimes having to achieve the impossible with time-management, missing Christmas and Easter breaks and the odd 2am Java programming session was soul destroying.  However it was one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done and it has changed the course of my life for the better. I am now professionally and academically a completely different person to the man who first attended the course back in 2009. I will never forget all the people who helped me achieve this goal.

2015 BSc Honours Applied Computing part-time cohort. From left to right: Wayne Locke, Gail Tucker and Steven Wyatt.

Posted in: Computing Services, SAMIS