CrystalMaker, CrystalDiffract, & SingleCrystal software packages are available for use as follows:
Installing on a personal device:
- Available to download from Secure Downloads
- For staff & students
- Available for Windows and Mac OSX devices
- We have funding for this for 1 year only at present (ongoing funding may not be available in future)
Installing on a staff Windows PC (Claverton campus only):
- Available to install via 'Software Centre'
- Not licensed for any other site
What can CrystalMaker do for you?
- Generate high-quality graphics and animations, plus export movies.
- Supports 3D visualisation (with red/blue glasses) and the LEAP motion controller, which are potentially useful for interactive teaching.
- The graphics engine has been completely rewritten to work on OpenGL, and it can therefore handle rendering fairly complex structures.
- Manipulation includes generating crystal surfaces and combining structures (e.g. placing molecules in the pores of structures such as zeolites); there is also some basic modelling capabilities that are being actively developed.
- CrystalDiffract and SingleCrystal, can be used to work with powder and single-crystal X-ray data, respectively.
- In particular, CrystalDiffract allows you to compare simulated and measured diffraction patterns, and to simulate patterns for multi-phase mixtures and crystals with different particle sizes and preferred orientations.