Dear overseas partners,
A very happy new year to you all.
Welcome to the first 2019 issue of the University of Bath Agents' Newsletter. This is a substantial update following on from our December newsletter as we head into the business end of the recruitment cycle.
There are a number of important updates included below, including information our new PGT Propectus and Virtual Open Days for both postgraduate and undergraduate. There are also important changes to accommodation applications and course closures for overseas students.
Please look at the table of contents below to make sure you don't miss an important update.
As always please share this information among your agents and with all those involved in counselling prospective students.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Postgraduate and Undergraduate Virtual Open Days^
Our latest Postgraduate Virtual Open Day will take place on Wednesday February 6, 11am-3pm (GMT) and we encourage all prospective students and agents to sign up to take part. There will be the opportunity to live chat with current students, staff and academics about life in Bath, studying, finances, admissions and anything else about studying in Bath.
We will also be running four live webinars on student life, admissions, fees and funding and careers. Attendees will have the chance to ask live questions to the panel and can watch back all the recordings.
This event is suitable for both students who have applied to study at Bath and those who are interested in applying in the future.
You can register for the event here.
There will also be an Undergraduate International Virtual Open Day on Saturday February 23, 11am -3pm (GMT).
You can register for that event here.
New Postgraduate Prospectus^
Our new Postgraduate prospectus is now almost complete and will be available in February.
It comprises a complete PGT course listing plus information about the campus, accommodation, city of Bath and much more.
Information on how to receive a copy of the new prospectus (hard copy or PDF) will be available shortly.
Accommodation application changes^
Many thanks for your feedback on our accommodation application timings, as a result we have made some changes to the timings as below.
One of the ways we can improve PGT and PGR applicant experience is to open earlier for accommodation reservations and also move forward the point at which rooms are allocated (which is after the guaranteed deadline).
We have come up with the following new schedule:
PGT and PGR (September intake)
- 6 March 2019 – Accommodation applications launch online for new Overseas postgraduates, Euromasters and pre-sessional offer holders.
- New Home/EU postgraduate offer holders can also apply but they are not guaranteed accommodation.
- PGT and PGR offer holders can only apply if they have accepted their offer.
- If they accept their offer after this date, they will need to allow at least 24 hours before they can apply.
- 17 June 2019 – PGT and PGR (September intake) offer holders must apply by this date to be guaranteed University of Bath accommodation either on or off campus.
- 18 June 2019 - Accommodation allocation begins.
- 18 June to 1 July 2019 – PGT and PGR Overseas offer holders can continue to apply. At this point they are not guaranteed University accommodation although it is highly likely there will still be accommodation available either in the private sector or through the University of Bath.
- 21 August 2019 – applications re-open on a non-guaranteed basis for new Overseas postgraduates only.
General postgraduate accommodation information can be found on our website here.
First Year Undergraduates (remains the same as previous years).
- 8 May 2019 – Applications launch for First Year Undergraduates, International Foundation Year and Incoming Exchange students.
- 1 July 2019 – Accommodation closes. First Year Undergraduates must apply by this date for guaranteed accommodation.
- 21 August 2019 – applications re-open on a non-guaranteed basis for First Year Undergraduates.
We will be updating new offer letters and emailing those already holding offers with details of the new schedule.
The UCAS deadline for ‘on-time’ undergraduate applications has now passed on the 15th January and many thanks for your applications so far.
However, the vast majority of our courses are still open on UCAS and we would welcome further applications. Of course favourable decisions are not guaranteed, but do not lose the opportunity for consideration. Please refer to UCAS to check for vacancies.
We are processing decisions as quickly as possible with the aim to have updated the status for all ‘on-time’ applicants on UCAS Track by the 31st March 2019. As you may be aware, some of our courses are extremely popular and therefore, in order to apply equity, some applicants may not hear until nearer the end of March.
For those students who are already in receipt of an offer, please ensure that any pre-existing qualification certificates, including English, are uploaded to the applicants Bath Application Tracker account. In order to support agents and applicants, all of the English requirements can now be found on each individual course page. Please review the links provided to check for qualifications taken outside of the UK to check if they are sufficient.
Should you have an enquiry or any concerns regarding one of your students, please do email through to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for us to be aware and provide you with support and guidance.
Following the 15 January deadline we are no longer able to accept applications for our courses in Social Work or in Sports Performance (our other Sports courses remain open).
At present we are still able to consider applications for all of our other undergraduate courses, so do let us know if you have a student who wishes to apply and has any queries.
Ask a student
From the end of January, we will email students who have an offer to study one of our undergraduate courses to give them a chance to have their questions answered by a current student from their intended department or course of study.
This is a great opportunity for them to find out what it’s really like to study at Bath, and we hope that this will be particularly useful for students based outside of the UK who may not be able to attend one of our Applicant Visit Days.
We have now confirmed our visit schedule for the coming months and are delighted that recruitment team will be making the following visits is the coming months.
Hong Kong (February)
Latin America (February/March)
Do let us know if you would like to meet a member of the undergraduate student recruitment team during one of these trips or if you would like more details of our itinerary in your country.
Information about Postgraduate focused trips will be coming soon, or please get in touch with your contact here for further details.
A reminder that all postgraduate offer holders are eligible to log in to our Bath Connection platform to connect with Bath alumnus. The platform allows offer holders to contact previous Bath students to ask about life at Bath, their course, future career options or anything relating to studying at Bath.
All offer holders and can login from application tracker. More information here.
Follow us on Chinese social media^
A reminder to all of our Chinese agents that you can follow us on both Weibo and WeChat, and please encourage students to do the same.
The faculties of Engineering & Design, Humanities & Social Sciences and Science offer the following scholarships:
- Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence: each faculty is offering eight scholarships worth £5,000. Offer holders will be invited to apply.
- Global Leaders Scholarships: the faculties are funding forty-five postgraduate scholarships, each worth £5,000. You can apply for the Global Leaders Scholarship once you have received an offer.
Bath students and Alumni bursaries
The University of Bath offers bursaries to its graduate students and alumni:
- Bath Alumni: if you have graduated with an honours degree or equivalent from the University of Bath and are self-financing, you may qualify for a 10% discount on tuition fees for a postgraduate course here at Bath. Your fees will be automatically discounted if you receive an offer.
- Taught Postgraduate Master’s Bursaries: we offer ten bursaries, each worth £6,000, to students with home (UK) status who have an undergraduate honours degree from the University of Bath. Preference will be given to those who meet a widening participation criteria. Applications for 2019 entry will open in May 2019.
For the most up to date information about scholarships visit our website here.
School of Management Masters Scholarships
We’re pleased to announce that the School of Management has over thirty scholarships worth £5000 available for 2019 entry year. Our Scholarships are open to UK, EU and Overseas fee status applicants. To be eligible, applicants must:
- have an offer to study a School of Management MSc degree starting in 2019
- accept their offer and pay the deposit within the four week deadline.
We are proud to also provide students with opportunities to pursue the arts alongside their studies, and this year we are pleased to announce the highest number of arts scholarships to date at University of Bath, awarding 18 talented students thanks to our generous donors.
Now in its fourth year, the scholarships programme helps fulfil student’s creative potential alongside their academic studies. The programme provides opportunities and support for students to develop their skills, collaborate across art forms and work with arts professionals to further their expertise.
We will be running a number of webinars in the coming months to help prospective students learn more about the courses.
The following have been confirmed:
- MSc Public Policy – 21 February, 12:00 – 13:00
- MSc Humanitarianism, Conflict and Development, 27 February, 12:00 – 13:00
- MA English as a Medium of Instruction, 13 March, 12:00 – 13:00
Event: Learn about Human Rights, Humanitarianism & Development in Jordan
You are invited to join us for an evening of thought-provoking lectures by experts in the fields of human rights and humanitarianism, followed by light refreshments and an opportunity to network.
Tuesday 29 January 2019. Amman, Jordan, 18:00 (EET)
This public event is a taster for Bath's MSc Humanitarianism, Conflict and Development, to which current students have been invited to attend. The event will be in English. All are welcome but please book in advance. Find out more and register for the event now.
New course: Applied Forensic Psychology with Counselling
We are delighted to confirm that our new course MSc Applied Forensic Psychology with Counselling is now fully approved and open for applications.
This course provides all the background psychological knowledge, professional skills and relevant experience needed to move confidently into forensic psychology work within the legal, criminal and civil justice systems.
This degree is a two year full-time course and features a compulsory placement integral to the course.
Tier 4 Visa^
We have received assurances that the Tier 4 Pilot will be continuing for 2019/20 entry.
This visa provides one-year master's students on a full-time programme the opportunity to benefit from a streamlined visa application process, and six months extra time on their visa to look for work.
Currently applications are still open for Pre-sessional Course B, which runs from April – June and is suitable for students with an IELTS score of 5.0. This course is also open to everyone, not just University of Bath offer holders.
For those of your students who may be considering a summer pre-sessional programme, we offer two entry points – 8 July 2019 and 8 August 2019.
Our pre-sessional courses offer students the opportunity to:
- Develop their English language within the University environment, both Academic English and the skills they need to go on to further study here in the UK
- Get to know our University here in Bath to find out if this is the place they want to study
- Experience the beautiful World Heritage City of Bath and the wonderful facilities, attractions and multi-cultural events it has to offer
- Explore the UK more widely, with easy access to Europe and its many incredible places to visit
You can find more information here.
Further information: firstname.lastname@example.org
And finally... we thought you might enjoy some festive pictures from across campus and the city during the last month.
View this post on Instagram
Max and Ellie, two of our undergrad students, went on the hunt for Christmas presents🎁 (and cheese) at the Bath Christmas Market earlier in the month. Watch our video to see how they got on. Watch an extended cut on our Facebook page, or see our Story for behind-the-scenes footage.