Digital Marketing & Communications

We've seen 1s and 0s you wouldn't believe

Digital team week notes: October 14th - October 18th 2013

📥  Communication, Sprint notes

It's been a productive week in the office with lots of things happening and much to talk about:

• During a short sprint we created and launched the first iteration of the Chancellor's Installation website. This will allow people to find out what's going on during the installation of our new Chancellor and watch live streaming of the event.
  • Continuing with the second sprint of work for the RDSO project, we have created a series of pages to simplify the research proposal lifecycle - something that's really important to academics. We also carried out some user testing on the work we are doing.
  • As part of the RDSO work, Kelvin has developed a script that can tell you which files in a site folder have been modified after a certain date - this is really useful when we are moving large sites into new templates. We have also started to prep the RDSO site to go live next week.
  • We spent time moving our general university lecture programmes content from the old Lifelong Learning site into our community pages. This was the last section we had to move before we were able to finally archive this old site. By archiving that this we've managed to clear out 2,785 old files!
  • Ben from Funnelback visited us this week to help us fine tune our search engine and demo an accessibility checking tool.
  • Chris has gone along to the WebDevConf 2013 conference in Bristol.
  • Ross and various team members also met with Alumni, Human Resources, Internationlisation and TeamBath to discuss exciting new digital projects for the coming month.

And finally...

This week Chris trained another seven staff members in the basics of CMS - on our CMS Essentials course. He also reviewed the content of our Intermediate course and booked more people on future sessions.

As it's the birthday of Jean-Claude Van Damme today I thought I'd include some of his wise words on training:

When I train I create serenity and I produce oxygen in my blood. It helps me to think better and relax. By training, you accentuate the problem.

— Jean-Claude Van Damme (17 questions with Jean-Claude Van Damme Askmen)

jcvd

Erm, ok, thanks Jean-Claude.

Now, I'm not sure if that's exactly how you'll feel after one of our training courses - but hopefully all those who attended training this week came away with some extra knowledge and ability - and are looking forward to putting their skills into practice.