Launching Worldwide

Posted in: Beta, Content design, Content Publisher, Development

We have recently launched Worldwide on bath.ac.uk.

It is a new central hub to curate international content across the website and will focus on a specific country or region. This is to support the implementation of the University’s International Strategy.

For the first edition, the page aggregates relevant content items to showcase the University’s activities and impact in South Africa. The goal is to send out clear messages about how our work in South Africa provides solutions to global environmental and social challenges, empowers future higher education leaders and develops top athletes of tomorrow.

First of its kind

This is the first time we have experimented to present the University's internationalisation by:

• featuring stories with a content marketing approach, focusing on creating and distributing valuable, relevant and consistent content to target clearly-defined users
  • using featured content to showcase the University's impact in various fields - from research to student experience to sports
  • producing content on the University’s overseas activities with coordination between faculties and professional services
  • using the Collection content type in the new CMS to curate content items
  • intensively promoting content on social media targeting specific user groups during the post-launch period

We learn as we go

There has been so much to learn throughout the entire process of delivering Worldwide, from content creation to curation. We will continue working in an agile way and embracing a culture of constantly learning and iterating through each round of producing Worldwide.

• This is an excellent idea. Please keep me posted. In addition, I have a great deal of 'back catalogue' material about PoLIS activities in Asia whilst I was HoD and my own current international activities. Do you want this?
    Best wishes,
    Charlie

• Hi Charlie, thank you very much for your comment. I look forward to hearing from you about PoLIS's international activities you were involved in!

• OK, here is some more information about PoLIS activities.

When I was appointed HoD at Bath I made the internationalization of PoLIS activities a priority. Departmental internationalisation activities are initiated by those HoDs who are enthusiastic about internationalisation, in coordination with Faculty Deans and the PVC Internationalization, Prof. Colin Grant.

Our approach was strongly output oriented. I aligned our activities with the University’s Internationalization Strategy and aimed to improve our performance in international rankings, such as ARWU and QS. First, I
    shaped our activities to perform more strongly in the research metrics behind the rankings and ensure that key areas of excellence are provided with the resource to punch above their weight. This involves substantial but targeted researcher mobility, in order to create genuine research partnerships with real outcomes, such as international co-writes. Second, I wanted us to become more ‘visible’ in research and teaching in order to achieve greater weighting in the name recognition exercises that also inform international league tables.

My first internationalization activity at Bath as HoD was a University delegation to Sao Paulo University, led by our PVC International in November 2012, followed by two more delegations to Zhejiang University and Yonsei University in June 2013. All three of these visits ended with the signing of Memoranda of Understanding.

In coordination with the PVC International I then built upon these broad institution-level agreements in order to pursue our more specific departmental goals. In the academic year 2013-14 I led two PoLIS delegations to China and one to Korea. The first visit to China took place in Autumn 2013, in which we planned a conference on ‘Trust-Building and Globalization’ with the Faculty of Social Sciences at Zhejiang University, which took place at Zhejiang on the 28th and 29th of June 2014. From China, the World Strategy Research Center of Central Compilation and the Translation Bureau of the Chinese Communist Party as well as circa 20 scholars from Zhejiang and other universities attended. I took a strong Faculty team, plus invited external keynote speakers: Prof. Karin Kierke (St. Andrews University); Prof. Margot Schueller (GIGA, Hamburg) and Prof. Klaus Schuch (Institute for Innovation, Vienna).

The PoLIS delegation to Yonsei University also took place in Autumn 2013 and generated four initiatives. First, we now have staff exchange agreements between PoLIS and Yonsei. Second, we are furthering research cooperation, particularly in the area of soft power and trust building in Europe and Asia. Third, there are plans to take forward student
    exchanges between Yonsei and Bath in the light of the agreements signed between our two institutions.

In the academic year 2014-15 we consolidated our ongoing international work to date. In October 2014 I took part in a University delegation to Yonsei, led by our Vice Chancellor Dame Glynis Breakwell and involving a formal reception at the British Embassy in Seoul hosted by our Chancellor, Prince Edward the Earl of Wessex. This visit generated a number of science infrastructure agreements between Bath and Yonsei. In June 2015 I hosted Prof. Hans Schattle of Yonsei as a Visiting Professor in PoLIS. Prof. Schattle is now helping me with a planned visit to Yonsei. He is also involved in my grant application (Discounting our future: towards an understanding of how we model pure time preference and how this impacts upon environmental policy making).

In all of our internationalization activities, robust and well-resourced University support services were essential. As HoD I was greatly helped by the University’s Research and Innovation Services, Learning and Teaching Enhancement team and of course the International Relations Office. The IRO arranged for me and other colleagues to brief Vivienne Stern, Director of UK Higher Education’s International Unit on our Department’s internationalization strategy.

So, to sum up, I enjoyed pushing forward PoLIS's international activities and am also grateful to strong team we took with us (mostly but not exclusively from PoLIS) and also the huge help we received from Bath's professional services.

ps. There are photos if you want!