I recently thought it would be worth looking at our browser stats to see which browsers people are actually using when they visit our site. When I saw the recent numbers I was a bit surprised and thought it would be worth reviewing the changes over the past few years to find out:
- Where have we come from?
- What has changed in the past 3 years?
- Where are we now?
I also wanted to produce some graphs to display the information visually rather than having lists of numbers in tables.
Show me the graphs
I'm going to jump straight in to the results now, but the details of where the data came from and how I produced these charts is covered later for those who are interested.
What our users were using in July 2008:
What our users now use (March 2012):
These 2 charts are massively different! They show how much has changed in the browser market, and consequently in web development, in less than 4 years.
No Chrome, no Opera, no Android to speak of in July 2008 (see disclaimer at the bottom) and Internet Explorer's share has more than halved.
How did we get here?
The change over time from July 2008 to March 2012:
The same data as above, in a line chart:
So we see the steady decline of IE, the rapid growth of Chrome and (to a lesser extent) Safari and the squeeze of Firefox. Opera is the constant tiny fraction and in recent months we see the Android browser appear in the stats.
I believe it's important to have an understanding of the browsers that people visiting our site are actually using. We can then develop the site to work best for them. That may mean ensuring pages render well in older browsers or being able to use some new technology because our users' browsers support them - either way we can make things better for people visiting the site.
What about IE?
There is one last graph which I find interesting and should help to answer the recurrent question "Which versions of IE should we support?":
There appears to be a strong argument to ignore IE6 (finally!) and focus more on IE8 and 9. Unfortunately IE7 doesn't look like it's going away any time soon.
There is of course a lot that we can do with the Google Analytics data. I'd like to look at the different versions of all the browsers, filter by country/language/OS and also compare our stats with other websites.
If you have any interesting browser stats for comparison, let me know in the comments.
Getting the data
I wanted browser stats for the last few years so I went straight to Google Analytics (GA), found our profile for external traffic and delved into the numbers. However, it soon became clear that gathering data for the past few years from the web site would take ages (as I'd need to export data for 45 months individually).
Or so I thought. But, as so often is the case, I needed to modify the original code a lot more than I first expected, to get it doing what I wanted. There were a few issues to overcome, including 414 errors (which were new to me) from the Google Chart API (documented in the FAQs) and the limited dimensions of Google Charts. A really helpful tool for checking the data coming from GA was the Data Feed Query Explorer.
Once I had tweaked the code, understood the data formats and chosen my chart colours, I was able to get useful output and generate the graphs I've included in this post.