Get Carter?

Posted in: Comment, New Publications

I've been reading the Carter Review of ITT in England.  It'd dedicated stuff, this blogging.

The aim of the review was to identify which "core elements of high quality ITT across phases and subject disciplines are key to equipping trainees with the required skills and knowledge to become outstanding teachers."  In addition, it was charged with the task of looking at how to improve "transparency of training offers" and access to courses.  For a sceptical perspective on the process, see here.

Were I not blissfully retired, I'd probably have had to read this earnest stuff more carefully that I have, if only to enable an informed management discussion about what, if anything, to do about it.  Instead, I gave it the once over, from an ESD perspective.  This did not take long.  Here's my report:

1. There is no mention of ESD or sustainability etc.  In that sense, the document is timeless.

2. There are plenty of mentions of "environment", but all these, whether literal of metaphoric, are all internal to the school.

3. Similarly, all the mentions of "sustain" (etc) are in the sense of enduring.

4. I lost count of all the mentions of "behaviour".

Time to move on ...

Posted in: Comment, New Publications