Higher Education for Sustainable Development – a review

Posted in: Comment, New Publications

Another paper!  Is this a trend?

This time it's my review for EER of Kerry Shephard's Higher Education for Sustainable Development [Palgrave Macmillan, 2015; ISBN: 978-1-137-54840-5].  You will find it here.

This is how it starts – and ends.

When I said that I was reviewing Kerry Shephard’s Higher Education for Sustainable Development for EER, someone said that I might read the last chapter first as this provides a neat summation of what the book’s about.  Whilst I have sometimes done this, especially with long academic texts, in order to see where an author’s meanderings have taken them, I always feel that it’s somewhat disrespectful as an Introduction and Chapter 1 are usually where authors, presumably, intends us all to start reading.  However, this time, I succumbed to temptation, followed advice, and began with chapter 7: A Way Forward, and I’m glad, in one way, that I did.

...

Finally then, I hope that anyone reading this review will have got the message that I think that this is an engaging book which is well-written, scholarly, accessible, and properly provocative.  And I say all that even though I don’t really accept the proposition which runs through the heart of the text: that there are only two kinds of academic: those advocating for sustainability and those not.  Actually, I don’t think that Kerry Shephard thinks that either, as large parts of Chapter 6 illustrate, but it was an effective heuristic which allowed him to make his valuable points relatively simply and very effectively.

Posted in: Comment, New Publications