Encouraging Ofsted to do the right thing.

Posted in: Comment, News and Updates

I've been trying to read the responses from 'the environment / environmental education sector' to Ofsted's consultation seeking views on its proposals for changes to the education inspection framework from September 2019.

I note that the response from the Green Schools Project (click here.) is proving influential with the sector, and this is a link to what NAEE wrote.

I was particularly pleased to see this in the response:
"In particular, NAEE thinks that Ofsted’s quality of education judgement needs to take into account the imperilled nature of the biosphere and support and encourage a curriculum that helps young people understand the nature of the problems we face, and needs to help them prepare to play a part in taking positive action in relation to the problems.  NAEE also thinks that any school not doing this in an age- and pedagogically-appropriate manner ought to be seen by Ofsted as offering an education of poor quality and therefore be judged as requiring improvement."
This is one of the more robust of the responses I've seen.  Were it to be implemented, I think it might just concentrate schools' minds.  Not that it will be, of course ...

Posted in: Comment, News and Updates