Author: Elliot Neale -

The intensive January course sure did live up to the name, it was intensive. I took Environmental Engineering in Developing Countries as I have an interest in persuing some NGO work post-University. The course was split into  small teams and each team focused on an area in India or Africa. The course aimed to educate about hygiene and sanitation problems in those areas and was assessed by reports and an overall application for funding.

At the start I thought it would be great to only have one course and my sole focus was on that module, as did many feel the same way. However, after spending three weeks of just focusing on the design of a water project, I felt I needed a change. The course was very interesting and the lecturer very helpful, he even threw us a party on the first week and provided free drinks, in return we had to cook!

The work involved creating a technical report of our proposed solutions and subsequent reasonings and calculations. The technical report was further supplimented with three working papers. After the technical report, we had to produce a 15 page application for funding to a Danish Government Ministry. So quite a lot of work in total!

The lecturer also held a small competition for the best drawings, presentations and reports. Our team won one of the prizes for best drawing was awarded 200dkk (£20).  Bearing in mind we had just worked on a project in a area with low income, we decided to give our winnings to a charity working in the area.

I would say overall, I would highly recommend this course, however there is quite a lot of work to do but is a great chance to do something a little different and still apply our engineering knowledge.

Frozen Lakes - Peblinge Sø
Frozen Lakes - Peblinge Sø

Posted in: Department of Architecture & Civil Engineering, Undergraduate