Envisioning the Internet of Things at Bosch

Posted in: Department of Architecture & Civil Engineering, msc, Postgraduate

Author: Ka Man Wong, MSc Modern Building Design (MBD) student -

I was very delighted to be selected one of the winning entries for the Internet of Things (IoT) competition organised by BOSCH. The competition forms part of the #BetweenUsWeCan campaign. This award has a great meaning for me as it affirms my work done in engineering and encourages me to pursue my career in in architectural engineering. People often perceive that engineering is a male world because of Maths and Physics, however, it is much more than just that! Women's intelligence, persistence, and creativity can make a fantastic contribution across all engineering disciplines. The prize of the award was a two-day trip to Germany. I had a great time with the other two winners who are high-talented and super bright. We exchanged our ideas of the entries on innovative engineering during the journey which was very enlightening for me!

Ka Man Wong and fellow competition winners at BOSCH, Germany

My winning idea I designed a multi-sensory recycling container that could classify the type of waste that consumers were recycling, employing a points-based incentivisation scheme to reward them accordingly. The idea of an incentivised multi-sensory recycling container encourages the concepts of recycling to all citizens in the UK, as well as to create a smart and sustainable society. This smart design centres on the intelligent classification system, smartphone applications, internet protocol, and supporting better recycling habits. My trip to Germany We got to the Heathrow airport at 6:00 in the morning, but unfortunately our flight to Stuttgart was delayed because of engineering problems. We were stuck in airport for 3.5 hours. Once we finally arrived, the Bosch trip organiser adjusted the plan and we visited the Mercedes-Benz museum. It is one of the most popular tourist spots in Stuttgart and I was surprised to learn that visitors go to the museum not just to learn about the history of car manufacturing, but to explore the glorious architectural features of the building. On the second day, we went to visit Bosch's research and development centre in Reutlingen near Stuttgart. We were all surprised how such small circuit boards / cells can provide so many intelligent functions of the car such as an automatic parking system! It was also fascinating to visit their testing facility where thousands of car parts are sent for testing every day.

Bosch's research and development centre in Reutlingen

Watch Ka Man Wong receive her award https://youtu.be/wcb1v7-yUKI