Author: Maria Petrou -

The best advice to start any course at university is to stay true to yourself and make the most of your first year at university. I'm just coming to the end of my first year studying Robotics Engineering and I know that the memories I have made this year are the beginning of a million more.

I've always been interested in engineering and how things are put together, but which field of engineering to study at university was a lot harder to choose. Initially, I thought that I would be more interested in mechanical engineering, but after I was introduced to robotics engineering I knew that it would be incredibly stimulating and that I would love it.

This year I have really enjoyed meeting new people. Moving to university was so different from any other experience I have had so far in my life and yet the people I’ve met this year made the move easier than I imagined it would be. They made my year memorable and entertaining.

The most useful thing that I have learnt so far is that you should never be afraid to ask for support. Whether that is asking my flatmates how to make meatballs or asking my lecturer for help in the latest coursework, there is always someone there who is willing to help, you just need to have the courage to ask.

I'm most looking forward to all the memories I will create. I have heard from families and friends that university is for life and the friends you make here will often be there for you for years to come. I have only caught a glimpse of this and I look forward to what the future holds. I'm also looking forward to finishing my degree and all the knowledge that I will gain along the way.

Posted in: Department of Electronic & Electrical Engineering, Undergraduate