Professor Tim Mays gives us a quick update on what's been happening within the Chemical Engineering Department throughout the last 12 months and what's coming up later in the year:
- We welcome Drs Bernardo Castro (Lecturer) and Eleni Sikou (Teaching Fellow) as new staff.
- We celebrate successful academic probation stages for Drs Carmelo Herdes, Alf Hill, Ana Lanham, Matt Lennox and Jannis Wenk (who has now completed probation).
- We celebrate Dr Caroline McFarlane’s’ promotion to Senior Teaching Fellow.
- We welcome the appointment of Dr Mirella Di Lorenzo as Director of Research, Dr Mike Bird as Director of Research Postgraduate Studies, Professor Semali Perera as Director of the Centre for Advanced Separations Engineering and Professor Davide Mattia as Associate Dean (Research) in the Faculty of Engineering and Design.
- We welcome 12 students (our target) onto the new MSc in Sustainable Chemical Engineering. We look forward to growth in numbers on this MSc over time and also to new MSc programmes in development such as in Sustainable Water Systems.
- We congratulate staff on grant successes including Professor Jan Hofman on the award of an NERC CDT and Professor Davide Mattia on the award of an EPSRC Established Career Fellowship. Both are in the broad area of water science and engineering.
- We cerebrate recent undergraduate successes including a 2017 Salters’ Graduate Award to Annabel O’Fee and a BP Citizen Award to Vena Jain.
- We thank the Faculty Dean for supporting the purchase of a pilot-scale absorption column that is now located in the refurbished undergraduate teaching laboratories in 9West.
- We look forward to a positive outcome of our Athena SWAN Bronze Award application early in 2018.
- We look forward to the appointment of two new Lecturers and up to two Prize Fellows early in 2018.
- We are working hard towards a successful REF21 submission, contributing to bids for EPSRC CDTs in the 2018 call and to our vanguard role in the University’s new Curriculum Transformation initiative.
Professor Tim Mays
Head of Department for Chemical Engineering