Dr Marianne Ellis, the Associate Dean of Learning and Teaching for the Faculty, summarises what she's been working on over the last 12 months and what's to come in the next year:
- The Faculty of Engineering & Design has three new programmes recruiting this year: MSc in Engineering Business Management (in Mechanical Engineering, with Management) and BEng/MEng and MSc in Robotics Engineering (in Electrical Engineering, with Computer Science).
- For the Curriculum Transformation, the vanguard programme is Chemical Engineering. Chemical Engineering has completed Phase 1 and they are now into Phase 2. The other departments are starting, or about to start curriculum transformation.
- I am part of the Curriculum and Assessment Design Group which is reviewing curriculum transformation activity and looking ahead to helping the programme development teams set up their preferred assessment and delivery methods.
- As Chair of the Teaching Development Fund (TDF) sub-committee we ran a sandpit which resulted in three projects going forwards to funding, totalling £25,000. The second round, a written application, is in process and decisions will be made just after Easter to allocate up to £30,000. Several Faculty of Engineering & Design colleagues are in the mix!
- A quick plug: Teaching Development Fund travel grants can be applied for at any time of the year!
- Faculty of Engineering & Design piloted CMIS in 2016/17 and it has now been rolled out across the University. There is ongoing refinement on the system.
- I am a member of the University Personal Tutoring Steering Group led by the SU, reviewing our practices across campus.
- I am a member of the University Ethics in Teaching Working Group, considering both the 'ethical development & delivery of teaching programmes & materials' and 'promoting ethical behaviour, attitudes and judgements in students’.
- Faculty of Engineering & Design is slowly but surely increasing the number of Fellows of the HEA - well done to all those who have achieved this and good luck to those of you currently writing your application!