Joining the Department of Electronic & Electrical Engineering

Posted in: Staff insight

Author: Rob Wortham -

I've just begun a new permanent, full-time position within the Department of Electronic & Electrical Engineering as a Teaching Fellow in Robotics. Electrical Engineering, as it was known back then, was the department where I studied as an undergraduate M.Eng student, a long while ago! The building itself has changed very little, but the teaching style, research focus and departmental culture is substantially transformed, and I feel I’m in a new place, not back in an old one.

I will be focusing on the delivery of our new MSc in Robotics and Autonomous Systems. This is an exciting new role for me for several reasons.

Firstly, I’ll be developing my teaching skills. I enjoyed the role of teaching assistant during my PhD, particularly helping students on their project work. However, during my four years of Doctoral study I focused primarily on research. Now I have the opportunity to focus on teaching!

Secondly, I’ll have the opportunity to learn more about robot technologies and platforms, particularly ROS (Robot Operating System), by setting coursework and helping students build their ROS based projects.

Thirdly, I’ll get to know a whole new department of people, working with them to deliver our teaching commitments, and I’m sure learning a great deal along the way.

In my first year I’ll also be working on the ‘Bath Course‘ leading to FHEA accreditation, mandatory for all teaching staff here at Bath. I recently attended the first Bath ‘Edufest‘, a very worthwhile and inspiring day, with excellent keynote and workshop sessions delivered by Prof Tansy Jessop.

So, for the immediate future my path is set. All that remains is to plan and prepare various programme units, wait for the students to arrive, and let the engineering begin!

Posted in: Staff insight

Originally published on Rob's personal blog