Early July, Prof. Davide Mattia and his research group, Serena Casanova, Abouther Al-Shimmery, Dr. Jing Ji and Dr. Saeed Mazinani, attended Euromembrane 2018 conference in Valencia, Spain. Euromembrane, organised by the European Membrane Society (EMS), is one of the most prestigious conferences in the membrane research area. This year, the conference was held by Universitat Politècnica de València on behalf of EMS and about 700 researchers have attended. In the conference, researchers from all over the world present their works through talks or posters, share their ideas, discuss their findings and gain constructive criticism from other researchers working in the similar area. The conference also allows researchers to build up networking, establish collaborations and shape the direction of their future projects.

“I was happy and honoured to have been there with my colleagues, to represent and promote the exciting and expanding area of membrane research at the University of Bath,” Serena said.

Abouther added, “It was a good experience to meet the people working with membrane field technology from different part of the world. Our group presented very interesting topics in membrane fabrication area such as using the 3D printer technology, nanotubes, and nanoparticles. I was really happy to attend the Euro membrane 2018 with my colleagues.”

Jing gave an oral presentation and a poster presentation, through which she “met and exchanged ideas with other researchers having similar research interests”. She said, “I’m very happy that I’ve taken the chance to attend the conference, which is good for both of my research and my personal.”

According to Saeed, “It was really valuable for me to present my research work in one of the most famous conferences on membrane technology. It was actually given me the opportunity to discuss my work with other researchers working in the similar research areas from different universities.”

Posted in: Research, Staff experiences