From Bath to Bristol

Posted in: 2013-14, Psychology

Moving into a new apartment is exciting, but never easy – and moving alone to an entirely new city is another story. From the craziness of London, to the peaceful Bath, I find myself on new turf for the next year.

While I hear about fellow undergraduates travelling the lengths of the Earth, from America, Australia to Africa and beyond, I ask myself – do you know where you are?

Bristol city.

Bristol1

Bristol is well-acclaimed as one of Britain’s most populated and diverse cities, with a bustling hub of thriving artists and musicians – I couldn’t wait to discover a legion of music, street art, and even stumble upon quirky shops in the backstreets of the city. I could picture myself as an urban explorer of this very cultural city.

The first day after my move was a quiet one, spent walking hours on any street I had not yet learned, browsing small second-hand bookstores, and then hauling bits of furniture back to my empty apartment before a rewarding cup of coffee.

Throughout my degree, I had never been able to restrict myself to any one field of Psychology until research on substance abuse particularly pricked my interests - consequently, leading me to acquire a work placement with the NHS, Avon and Wiltshire Mental Health Partnership Trust.

To my advantage, the UK National Health Service boasts its current position as the third largest employer in the world… of course, after the Chinese Army and Railway services - with the Bristol area recognised as providing the best and most specialist services for people struggling with substance abuse and associated mental illness. In this sense, I feel as if my placement is one of the best places to be able to learn and develop my knowledge on how therapy really works in a clinical setting, rather than just reading about it in the textbooks..

I have many high expectations before I start work, and believe I am starting with a quaint, naïve enthusiasm towards meeting clients, learning about various therapies and aiding towards clients’ personal recovery. Gearing to go, I surely look forward to seeing if my expectations are closer to reality, than not.

Posted in: 2013-14, Psychology