The international applicant student journey

Two University of Bath applicants share their experiences as they come to study in the UK for the first time.

Freshers' week (Nishesh Jain)

📥  Uncategorized

Bath, Uni and Beyond

It’s just halfway through freshers week and it feels so much longer. Not because it’s boring or time is running slow but actually I am doing so many things that it feels like a week’s accomplishments already. So I think this would be a longer post this time and pardon me for dragging you through it.

My first glimpse of England

My first glimpse of England

Leaving home for this long adventure was a little nostalgic at first. But as I moved away from Delhi, excitement kept increasing. It was such that I didn’t even notice that it was a 9 hour long flight and arriving in Heathrow was really fun. I went along with some of my Indian friends, who were on board with me, and got on the coach to Bath. The weather was pleasant and warm with the sun shining, contrary to my expectations of a cold and rainy welcome. The bus moved through the English countryside giving beautiful and magnificent views. As we approached Bath up and down the hills the glimpses of the city and surroundings were even more attractive than what I had imagined.

From the bus stand we moved to our new accommodation at Cleveland Buildings, as pretty as the rest of the city. The rooms were a little smaller than my expectations, but housekeeping staff and the resident tutor really helped me to get settled in. In the evening, along with my friends, I walked down to see the city centre and to grab some dinner. And it was the end of a stunning welcome to Bath.

At Heathrow

At Heathrow

Sunday morning, the weather did not disappoint this time, it was raining! I headed to the University, planning my day for the boring admission related formalities (which I will try to refrain from elaborating here too much).  The day was actually just the opposite. I saw the most beautiful campus of all, the University had organised loads of events for international students to come and know fellow students and make new friends. And by the evening I was having coffee and snacks with Grant Walle and Verena Wang, making tens of other friends along the way.

Our LINC mentor group

Our LINC mentor group

The following days were even more enjoyable (with more subtle weather conditions) and there were many events organised by the university LINC program for the international students.  The LINC mentoring session was one of the highlights as I finally met our helpful and friendly mentor Lucy and my fellow mentees Jiejang and Alexandra. This was a great opportunity to get to know and learn anything about British culture and to adapt to it. Lastly, apart from the parties you obviously enjoy in the night I am pretty excited to try my hand at sports which I have never played before. So the enjoyment continues at Bath……

Nishesh Jain