The international applicant student journey

Two University of Bath applicants share their experiences as they come to study in the UK for the first time.

Time to study! (Joon Yoong Loh)

📥  Uncategorized

Only a week has passed, but it feels so long. University life is exciting (at least in the beginning), but quite honestly, I feel lost. Career development, skills development programmes, sports, societies, language classes seem so interesting, yet I can't do them all! And of course I still have to study and take care of my eating and laundry; quite overwhelming, really.

After one gap year which I filled by working in Starbucks, serving coffee, beginning to study again is VERY strenuous. I hadn't done a single maths question for almost a year and a half, so I'm in for a difficult time until I catch up on everything! Also, because I was studying pure science in my A-Levels, I find it so difficult to keep up with the economics lectures. Textbooks are also a tedious thing to sort out. I haven't gotten any yet, but have managed to borrow some from the library. For sure, purchasing brand new ones is not an option for me.

As for everyday life, cooking has also been an interesting experience. For the first time in my life, I have to prepare my own food, from A to Z; from buying the groceries to taking out the meat from the freezer the night before! In time, I will get better and better at it. Was great fun the first few days, but now it's become quite a drudgery.

Lastly, I've been looking for a church to join, and I think I have found the one! St. Bart's is a very warm environment, and the people here are very friendly. I think I would be quite happy here.

It's been a great week, but before I sign off, I'll end with a few pictures. 

Trip to Bristol with my friends. We went to IKEA to get many household items we needed

Beriani rice in town! Very nice indeed.

Beriani rice in town! Very nice indeed.

Dinner

Dinner!