I have recently collected the survey results for the Microbiology App released at the end of October (previous post). We had an amazing 30% response rate to the survey by our first year students. So that was 54 out of a total of 177 undergraduates studying Pharmacy or Pharmacology. Previously, I have considered a 10% response rate as doing very well, but this completely surpasses any survey that I have done before.
In addition, the actual data is staggeringly positive:
- 100% find the app useful
- 96% find the app easy-to-use or very easy-to-use
- 83% would use the app for private study
- 85% would use the app for revision
- 46% would use the app prior to a lecture
It seems that native apps really do strike a chord with students!
Also, in terms of where the students would use the app:
- On campus - 83%
- At home - 76%
- On a journey - 65%
And here are all the free text responses from students, in response to the question 'Please write any feedback you have about the app':
- Far more useful than I had originally anticipated.
- The app makes it extremely easy to access lecture notes wherever you are. Its definitely the future of leaning tools.
- Good, easy to use, useful addition to the course. Especially the quizzes. Quiz apps should be more widely available in subjects.
- I find it very easy to use and it is useful to have especially when the lecture slides are not available on Moodle before the lecture so then I can just use the app instead.
- I think it is very helpful as I can go through microbiology notes anytime with my phone
- It's acts a very convenient means of accessing lecture notes quickly. This is especially useful if there's a small point that you want to look up.
- I love how easy it is to access, the design is simple. The only thing I wish was there would be Panopto recording.
- The app is easy to use and navigate, unlike moodle. The layout is a little odd as some pages are only half screen and this can make them difficult to read. It's nice to be able to have access to power points and quizzes, even when on the move.
- It would be useful to have pages from textbook included in the app.
- Really easy to use and very helpful during lectures and to aid revision.
- Sometimes accidently click on the arrow on the top rhs corner which is annoying as it boots me out of the PowerPoint I'm viewing. Perhaps only make the arrow available when you touch the screen.
- great I love it!
- It has been a great tool that I have been able to use to prepare myself for lectures whilst on the move, easy and helpful to use whilst on bus journeys too!
It is a fantastic result. I also note that there were a total of 98 installations (iOS and Android combined) of the Microbiology app, which includes installations by both staff and students.