Student bloggers

Life as a student in Bath

Moving on and into a new year: second year housing

,

📥  Faculty of Science, Rob (Physics)

Now that I’ve moved into my second year house where I have spent the summer and will spend the next academic year I thought it would be apt to write a post on the topic of second year housing. Hopefully this post can pick apart some of the aspects of finding housing that people ask about. It’s a big thing, getting your own place.

So the first thing that you’ll notice about being a Bath student is how early those conversations come up. You’ll often hear that you need to get your finger out and start looking early, and that’s basically to do with the issue of low supply and high demand. There’s a lot of students in the city, I think it’s almost 30,000, and there’s only 70,000 permanent residents. There’s space for everybody, of course, but what this means is that the better places sell quickly. It’s actually common for Bath students to sort their second year housing before breaking up for Christmas.

That pattern is one that me and my future housemates followed, and in fact it lead to an unforeseen issue within our halls – see, there were twelve of us in the same building, and from the start of the year we all managed to get along. Obviously some of the friendships within the flat were stronger than others, but on the whole we were all friends and I’m sure we will be next year, and long into our lives in Bath.

Now, you might think that this was blessing and nothing less, but when it came to the decision of who was going to move in with each other, well – then we really ran into problems.

It was a tricky discussion, the whole way through. We had a few emotional nights and some really awkward moments but we managed through and came to an arrangement that suited most of us pretty well.

What I’m saying is that you’ll be unlikely to know for certain who you really want to live with by the time you have to decide- a couple of months just isn’t enough, even living in halls together, to decide who you really get on with. Nonetheless it’ll be fine. Don’t worry. It’s a little difficult, but you’ll muddle through.

When I found out who I’d actually be living with I was overwhelmingly happy. Myself and three of the people who were in halls with me – Josh, another physics student, Phillipe – a chemical engineer, and Kaz- a psychology student. It’s a great group and at the time I was happy, now perhaps even more so.

Also, as a stroke of good planning, four more of our housemates are living a stone’s throw up the road – literally five minutes’ walk away. So, in conclusion – we got there.

We decided to live in Combe Down which is a little village situated a couple of kilometres away from the Uni, and a couple from town. They form a kind of triangle.

We chose to live in Combe Down because we’re all planning to cycle next year and it sits on top of the same hill as the campus. If you decide to live in Oldfield Park it means that you’ve got to brave a grueling trip up either Widcombe or Bathwick Hill – and they’re both inclined at 12% at some points. Coombe Down is a good place to live for cyclists, but maybe Oldfield Park is a better place for parties. It’s where the majority of students live and it’s heavily connected with the university via a near constant stream of buses.

As I said, I’ve just moved in to my new place. I’m staying in Bath to work over summer and because our contract is twelve months I’ve been able to move in early. It’s a four bedroom place with a bathroom, a toilet, a kitchen and a washroom. It’s got a ton of utilities – a washing machine, a dishwasher and even a tumble dryer. There’s also a dead nice garden complete with a pear tree and an apple tree. For the price I think it’s really a bargain. I’ve attached a few photos so you can get some idea of the place.

In terms of money, we’re each paying £390 a month, and that’s before bills, so it’s not cheap – but it’s an unfortunate part of becoming an adult.

Halls is a bit like a half-way house I guess, but this is the real deal. There’s nobody here to take the bins out, or to keep guard of the place, and you even have to buy your own loo roll! Nonetheless it’s definitely worth it for the sense of freedom and independence. You’ll just notice right away that what your parents always “went on about” – turning the lights off, not spending too long in the shower. All of those things make a lot more sense when you’re the one who has to foot the bill.