My transition to university

Posted in: First year, School of Management, Undergraduate

With the sound of Christmas bells ringing in the distance, semester one is drawing to a close... the way time flies when you are having fun! Hopefully, from the video above you have an idea of who I am, but if not: I’m Ellie, a year one management with marketing student at Bath.

Why Bath?

It bewilders me to think that this time last year I was frantically putting my personal statement together, submitting it to UCAS and going to sleep with my fingers and toes crossed (who said it was bad luck?).

Applying to university is a scary time, and it can be overwhelming to think about open days and comparing courses when you are juggling your A levels or IB diploma too. I personally studied the IB, which surprises most people as I did not study internationally, and business was actually one of my standard level subjects rather than higher. Therefore, I initially thought I should be doing a Science-based degree, or maybe Psychology… but I knew that Business was what felt right. And I think this is what’s key! To go with what you want to do, not what you feel you should do.

After visiting the University of Bath, it stood out to me in a way nowhere else did. There was something about the scenic city, tranquil lake on campus and the great reputation of the course that shouted, ‘Pick me!’. The other universities I applied to actually had lower entry requirements than Bath, but I’m glad I had to work towards higher targets as it motivated me to do better in my exams, at which point the final stage was…

Results day

As an IB student, my results day was a month earlier than a lot of my friends’. This filled me with dread as the thought loomed that if I didn’t get the grades, I would have to wait another month to find out if I would be accepted. I cannot explain the relief of receiving the UCAS acceptance notification that day! I could finally start looking forward to my time at Bath without the fear of not actually making it.

Moving in day

Summer went on for an eternity (in a really good way!) and it was amazing to travel and relax for a few months. But, by the end, I was longing for a sense of purpose and routine again. Moving in day caused a lot of anxiety, as I’m sure it did for many people, with thoughts zooming around at 100 mph:

What if I don’t like my flatmates?

What if I hate the course?

What if people judge my bad cooking skills? – Yes, my worrying got to extremes this petty.

But let me assure you, it goes a lot more smoothly than the scenario in your mind. In all my worrying, what I had neglected to remember is that everyone is in the same boat. Everyone wants to make friends and settle in as quickly as possible. I do wish I could remind my past self of this but in reality? Until you experience it these thoughts are hard to control.

What now?

Hopefully, you now have more of an idea of who I am and what I do. Following this background post about myself and my journey to university, I will be next posting about my accommodation. If you are in the position I was in earlier this year (missing the accommodation tours and wondering what on earth it was actually like inside halls), this should be useful for you!

Just three more weeks until Christmas…

Fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la

Find out more about choosing to study at Bath