My Placement at HPC, EDF Energy.

Posted in: Placements, School of Management

My role and responsibilities

As a commercial assistant, I work across two teams (Central Framework and Reporting) in supply chain division, to provide the information required for delivery of supply chain functions. I am learning about the various facets of the supply chain process including Contract management, Project Control and Procurement Management. Also, I have learnt how business intelligence is used to assess various areas of business performance. This placement has made me realise the profound relationship that exists between supply chain management and operations and how an all-encompassing supply chain platforms and software like SAP and CEMAR can make the operations of a construction organisation robust by reducing costs and enhancing overall capabilities.

My role as commercial assistant encompasses a number of responsibilities. One daily work of mine is processing a Task Order (TO) and Raising a Purchase Requisition on SAP which is utilised as a contract and payment management system across supply chain teams. Another part of my job is working on reports of Project Control, which will be presented to team leads and directors. It's been highly rewarding to be trusted with this important aspect of data handling. Processing data and gaining the insights of the project as a whole give my precious opportunities to learn the new skills required of you and increase your understanding of the organisation and how things roll there.

Reasons for working in HPC

Hinkley Point C nuclear power station (HPC) is a project to construct the first new nuclear power station to be built (with values of £19.6bn to £20.3bn) in UK in over 20 years. It will provide low-carbon electricity for around 6 million homes, create thousands of jobs and bring lasting benefits to the UK economy. Construction and operation of Hinkley Point C will create 25,000 employment opportunities, up to 1,000 apprenticeships and 64% of the project’s construction value is predicted to go to UK companies.

Having an interest in project management and business analytics, this was a perfect opportunity for me to learn and gain valuable experience in a such significant project. Being a good employer, EDF welcomes newcomers at the work place and is supportive of their personal development in terms of providing both time and training and I say this from personal experience. Hence, why would I not feel privileged, having got the chance to work with such a great organisation?

Developing Competency Skills

My placement at HPC has helped me build my competency skills. Working in a cohesive team, I have learnt to never let my team appear inadequate. Working under pressure helped improve my time management skills and taught me to not get perturbed.  I have learnt to work for seven and a half hours at a stretch for five days a week in contrast to the frequent breaks that I was used to as a student. This placement has helped enhance both my communication and problem-solving skills as I work with people from diverse backgrounds, attempting to resolve their queries.

Life as a placement student at HPC

This being my first full time job, I was naturally very nervous on my first day of work. My colleagues went out of their way to help me settle down and provide me with all the on-the-job training that was required. Having started off my placement without much experience, I worked hard and soon my colleagues and superiors recognised my effort and accepted me as a valued member of their team. At no time am I made to feel that I am here only for a temporary period.  You would have chances to participate whatever you’re interested as long as you put yourself forward.

This is my life as an intern working in HPC in the first three months. I’ll catch up with you soon.

Until next time, take care!

Constance Lu