Hello,

I hope everything goes well with you.

This, my second blog post, marks my halfway point of placement in the HPC Supply Chain Reporting team. Throughout the weeks I mainly worked on the PowerBI platform and Excel, organising data and transforming it into graphs for better visualisation and meaningful management information. At the same time, I have been participating in the development of Knowledge Share Library, which intends to deliver continuous improvement through application of Knowledge and learning from experience and to be applied to future work to bring significant safety, quality or costs.

Moved to reporting team brings such a challenging but interesting working experience. On the weekly basis, I get involved in the creation of SC reports (weekly and monthly) based on the extracts from CEMAR and SAP. The team is also tightly work with Hitachi team to develop a high-level reporting architecture as well as more automated work streams. The whole project has been roughly broken into three phases. In Phase 1, Power BI dashboards (front end only) is built with manual data extracted from spreadsheets. Meanwhile, Enhancements done to the reports created during POC (Proof Of Concept). In Phase 2, manual data is updated into Data Warehouse under the rationale of Dimensional Modelling. Dimensions conformed from different sources represent HPC (mainly SC dept.)’s core business processes and associated dimensionality. This helps our team analyses data along dimensions and hierarchies (e.g. how many contracts were signed by values and by dates). Also it creates measures and KPIs so that reports that need to show the same calculation have the same business rules applied. All mentioned above provide high performance on analytical queries and in the end, allows for incremental data warehouse and business intelligence <DW/BI> development. The diagram shown below visually demonstrate this architecture. The ultimate aim, which in Phase 3, is to build full integration throughout departments in HPC.

Simplified High-level Architecture

Being a part of this project and team, I have grown a great deal professionally and personally. Energy industry is eagerly integrated with automation and information technologies, such big data and data analysis. Therefore, experiences in Reporting team gave a unique chance to be at the forefront of such transformation and adoption, allowing sharpen my analytic skills. Professionally, I truly learned the importance of collaborating with fellow employees outside of my functional area. In turn, I’m improving soft skills by learning how to deliver effective presentations and communicate pertinent information to nontechnical colleagues. Additionally, I learned that networking is one of the most important and beneficial things you can ever do. By networking with fellow employees, you will be able to have multiple sources to utilise when you need assistance, and it will also allow for opportunities to present themselves when you least expect it.

My journey in HPC continues, and I’m looking forward to exploring more!

Until next time,

Best,

Constance

Posted in: International student, Placements, School of Management