I finished my degree, now what?

Posted in: Postgraduate

When I started studying at Bath, I felt really excited about everything, and wanted to participate in all kind of activities, make a lot of friends and do my best with my studies. However, it is important not to lose track and think about your future as well.  Right when I started, the last thing I wanted to worry about was what I was going to do when I finished my master's. Now that it is summer, I have recently started to look for a job and to send applications, and there are a couple of recommendations I would have liked to hear before.

You will want to make the most of your course, but it is important not to lose track and think about your future as well.

First of all, it is key to organise your time properly. As the semester goes on you will start to get really busy with deadlines and will have even less time to think about your future. In general terms, master's students have many more chances to find a job than graduate students. In fact, you will find that many job offers would ask for master's students only. But if you do not have any previous working experience, and especially if you want to start working for a big company, your best chance is to take a look at the graduate jobs, and many of the applications finish about November-December, which is something important to bear in mind.

The University of Bath will offer you lots of support in the process of finding a job.

Another key recommendation is to get as much help from the University as you can get. You will only be here for a year, which looks like a really long time, but you will realise it is not. The University of Bath will offer you lots of support in the process of finding a job, and you should not miss any chance.

The main key things I would have liked to know in advance are:

·        Take a look at the University Careers Service web page regularly to see all the opportunities the University offers during the process of finding a job. They did help me quite a lot, as I booked several individual appointments to have my CV and my personal letter amended. If you are from a foreign country, you will discover that companies may expect different CV formats from what you are used to, so just looking at the online guides can be already quite helpful.

·        Attend career workshops: Careers Service also offers several workshops all year long, which will help you prepare for a job interview, or will give you guidelines about how to have an effective LinkedIn profile and CV, or how to look for jobs.

·        Try going to at least one careers fair, for example I attended one in October. Many different companies visit the University during these and students are welcomed to go and speak with their representatives. It is a great opportunity for you to make new connections and to know what different companies’ requirements might be and to learn about their graduate offers and internships. For example, they helped me discover some small companies I had never heard of before, but which were working in areas that were particularly of my interest.

·        There are some web pages you can follow, to keep you notified of new positions that fit you interests. LinkedIn can be used for that purpose and Gradcracker is also a great way of finding graduate jobs. Furthermore, the University also posts some jobs opportunities in the section my future.

·       Finally, bear in mind that to start working in the UK, you might need to apply for a visa or/and a national insurance number if you are an international student. If you need more information about how visas work and what do you need to do to get permission to stay in the UK after the completion of your studies, Careers Service will be glad to help you.  

Posted in: Postgraduate