Belonging At Bath: 5 things I wished I’d known about learning and teaching

Posted in: First year, Learning & Teaching at Bath

Hi, I’m Ruqia, your Education Officer for this academic year! Starting a new chapter at university can sometimes feel a bit daunting. Having gone through the process of being a student here at Bath, I put together a list of 5 tips that would have helped me and will hopefully help you at the start of this exciting journey!

A little bit about what I do…

I am here to represent your views as a student body when it comes to the academic aspects of your university experience. I am looking forward to working with you and for you on areas including personal tutoring, placement support, feedback, unit evaluations and campaigning to make sure your reading lists are more inclusive and representative of the diverse pool of students we have here at Bath.

1. Taking Notes

Find out what works best for you! Some people prefer to write notes by hand, some people prefer to type, whilst others choose to sit back and take everything in. There are lots of resources to help you manage your academic work and be productive; check out how you can get ahead by developing your academic skills.

You might also want to look at some great technological tools from Assistive Technology. 

Depending on your course, in addition to lectures, you might also have seminars or tutorials which are structured in different ways to help you get to grips with new information.

2. Personal Tutors

They are there for you to contact, whether it is for academic or pastoral support. You are assigned a Personal Tutor when you start at university, and your department will tell you more about their role and what you can contact them about at your induction.

3. Peer Mentors

When you come to university a peer mentor is allocated to you. For undergraduates, these are students that are typically in the second year of the course who are able to support you by drawing on their own experiences to help make your transition into university easier. Look out for opportunities to meet your peer mentor in your induction timetable and through Semester 1.

4. It’s NEVER too late to ask a question

I want to stress that no question is a silly question. You will be listened to. Sometimes you might find that you are given too much information too quickly and nothing sticks in your head- in those cases, don’t be afraid to ask for clarification.

5. Managing your time

Leaving your assignments until the last minute and pulling all-nighters is never a good idea (trust me, I’ve been there!). I’d recommend making a head start whenever you can and leaving yourself enough time to get involved in extracurricular activities like sports and societies and everything else the Students’ Union has to offer, in order to enrich your experience here at Bath.

Something that I would particularly recommend is making to-do lists! Nothing is as satisfying as being able to cross off even the smallest tasks that you’ve managed to complete.

And finally… Engage with your Students’ Union & your elected officers!

The Students’ Union is here to empower students and bring them together to create a sense of community, whether it is through the countless events, sports and societies we offer, volunteering opportunities or through our politics and activism groups!

As your Education Officer, I work very closely with a team of another five officers to represent your views and make a difference here at Bath.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me an email.