My plans for life after the University of Bath

Posted in: Postgraduate

Sooner or later you are going to have to think about what comes next in your life. Do you continue with your education or do you become an adult and get a job?

For myself this decision wasn’t too difficult, as I had always planned to undertake a PhD. However this brings with it new challenges in the form of funding and supervisors willing to take you on.

Was it helpful going to the University of Bath?

Having attended the University of Bath, I can safely say that my time here was well spent. If I’m honest the work was more challenging than I had initially envisaged, but if you meet that challenge the benefits far outweigh the long nights reading papers on obscure topics.

Whilst the skills I’ve gained have given me a great foundation to build upon, the overall level of excellence and national rank of the university makes it significantly easier to get the attention of potential supervisors and companies in which you may wish to start your career.

Advice

If a PhD is something that interests you, I strongly recommend speaking to your supervisor about it. In my case he made me question the reasons for undertaking a PhD. If it’s just for the title then it may not be for you, however if you are serious about your subject and want to make a contribution to its development then go for it.

In addition your lecturers and supervisors are a very good source of information around potential funding and scholarships so stay close to them, after all what could be better than getting paid to study for your PhD?

I hope these blog posts have been helpful, if you have any questions please feel free to comment below and I’ll try to help the best I can.

Posted in: Postgraduate