A (Very Realistic) Christmas at Uni

Posted in: Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences, Undergraduate

It’s Christmas time – when everyone is in a merry mood, the smell of roast potatoes is wafting down the hallways and the Christmas markets' lights including Bath's are twinkling all around… Right?

WRONG!

Reality is, everyone’s stressed because of deadlines, the roasties have probably been burnt (and now the fire alarm’s going off) and the Christmas markets are a no-go on the weekends/evenings.

So, “what do I do?”, you ask.

Don’t worry because here’s my guide to surviving Christmas at uni!

Deadlines

Let’s get the boring stuff out the way first. Deadlines are always piling up towards the end of term and it’s wise to plan ahead of time. Even though I wrote a blog post about how to stay organised at uni, admittedly, I still leave things to the last minute sometimes.

My top tips here would be:

• Break down your deadlines into mini, realistic goals (e.g. 1500-word essay = 300 words over 5 days)
  • Focus on the immediate task in front of you
  • Don’t panic!

Social Events

As it’s Christmas, the social events come thick and fast. From society balls to Christmas dinners, it can be challenging to keep on top of all your social events and deadlines. Check out this post where I wrote about everything I got up to in my first year!

One tip is to set your budget and stick to it. December is notorious for being a high-spend month, so you won’t want to get caught out! If you have any questions about budgeting at uni, feel free to comment below and I’ll answer you asap.

Christmas Dinners

Whether you’re planning on hosting or contributing to a potluck Christmas dinner, my advice would be to keep it simple.

The simpler you make it, the easier (and less stressful) it is for you! As you can see in the video below, my housemates and I literally stuck a pre-marinated chicken in the oven, along with some vegetables and Yorkshire puddings.

Cheap and cheerful!

Christmas Markets

Two words. Don’t go.

I’m just kidding (maybe). To be honest, I’m not a huge fan of massive crowds so the Christmas markets aren’t particularly fun at peak times. If you’re anywhere on the scale of claustrophobia, you’ll know what I mean.

Instead, go on a rainy day – seems counter-intuitive, but trust me it’s still pretty and there aren't as many people. That way, you can enjoy the markets at a leisurely pace and even get some Christmas shopping done!

Christmas Carols

There are many Carol services you can attend in Bath to get you into the festive spirit. Beer and Carols* at the Brewhouse (hosted by Vineyard Bath) is a popular choice, as well as the Carols at the Abbey*.

This year, my housemate and I decided to go to the Carols hosted by Freedom Centre UK*, which was a super fun and modern service!

*make sure to check out their websites and Facebook pages near December-time to be updated on dates and times.

Watch the video to see what I got up to at uni over Christmas time!

Spoiler: Carols, dinners, massage + more!

Here are the activities if you're on or off campus over Christmas