Social & Policy Sciences Applicant Visit Day: What To Expect And How To Prepare

Posted in: Applicant Visit Day

If you’re asking: What’s a University of Bath Applicant Visit Day like? You’ve come to the right place!

In this post, I’ll demystify what happens during a Social & Policy Sciences AVD, how to prepare for yours and questions you might like to ask. PLUS, bring you on a mini-tour of one!

How to prepare for your Applicant Visit Day

Travel. This is probably the main headache, especially if you’re driving to Bath. Let me break it down for you:

Basically, if you can, the best option is to come by public transport.

There’s no dress code come as comfy as you like. If you have an interview too then consider what clothes you’d be the happiest wearing for an interview. Either way, it’s quite relaxed.

“Can mum and dad and friends come?”. The short answer is yes! The more the merrier. Besides, they will also want to know what you’re getting yourself into.

With that out of the way, let’s get to the fun stuff!

What is an Applicant Visit Day? How is it different from an Open Day?

Maybe you’ve already come to the Open Day about a year ago. However, if you’re anything like me, you’ve already forgotten what the university is like! That in itself was a big enough reason to motivate me to go to my AVD back in 2018.

The biggest difference is that the AVD is primarily for offer-holders so you can get to know people who may be on your course come October. This means that you’ll get more specific information on the Social & Policy Sciences department through the introductory talk and the taster lectures corresponding to your course.

How do I get the most out of my Applicant Visit Day?

Come prepared to spend some time getting to know the department and the University.

My favourite part of the AVD is getting a 10 minute 1:1 session with a lecturer that teaches on your course which is the perfect opportunity to ask any questions in a less intimidating setting. Great for you if your parents seemingly have a never-ending list of questions to ask!

Also, make sure to talk to the current students at your AVD who will be working as Student Ambassadors to hear from a student’s perspective. I highly recommend asking the final year students who have gone on placement about their experience as that’s one of the biggest pulls to come to Bath!

Hopefully, this gave you a head start on what to expect when you come to your Applicant Visit Day. Watch my video below where I take you around an AVD!

Feel free to comment below if you have any further questions 🙂

Posted in: Applicant Visit Day

Find out more about Applicant Visit Days