How To Plan Your Day + Stay Productive While Stuck At Home

Posted in: Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences, Undergraduate

Eat, sleep, snack, repeat. If this sounds like you right now, read on…

In the midst of all the changes that we’ve experienced in the last few weeks, it can be easy to let your routine slide. But before you throw your self-discipline out the window, I’ve got a few simple and practical tips to help you stay on track whilst working from home.

Planning your day

The reason your to-do list isn’t working is probably because you aren’t prioritising your tasks or giving them time-blocks. It’s tempting to keep adding tasks, but before you know it, it’s about 3 pages long!

Follow these steps and you’ll have your day planned effectively in a jiffy!

1. Establish your working hours

E.g. 9am – 5pm. This is key to ensuring that you won’t stay up working until the early hours, just because you can.

1. Brain-dump all your tasks into your planner

It’s always good to clear your mind in the mornings and start the day knowing exactly what you need to do. Pro tip: do this the night before so that when you wake up, you can get straight to it!

1. Star the THREE most important tasks

It’s crucial that you limit and prioritise your tasks because it’s easy to start a long to-do list when it’s not actually realistic. This leads me to the next step…

1. Assign times to these three tasks on your Google Calendar (watch this video to learn how to use Google Cal)

The reason this is a game-changer is that when you look at the calendar, you’ll realise you only have a certain amount of time in a day. We all have the same 24 hours, so we need to use it the best we can.

Staying productive

• Set boundaries with others and yourself

When we’re isolating at home, we can’t simply leave the house and work in a café. This is why it’s important to establish (loving, but firm) boundaries with those you live with. Being here doesn’t mean we’re available. So, if a gentle reminder doesn’t work, consider closing the door or even sticking a sign up!

You may think that setting boundaries with yourself is a bit weird… but hear me out!

First of all, honour your working hours or you’ll burn out otherwise. Often, we’re quick to remind others to respect our boundaries, but if we can’t even respect them first, who will?

Come up with a list of things you can do during down-time so you don’t end up working again. Speaking of which…

• Rest, rest, rest

I’m not just talking about a solid 7-hour sleep here, I’m talking about letting your brain rest. We’re so used to filling our time with the news, social media and other distractions, that we’ve forgotten what it means to truly rest. Try out some meditation with the Fika app, Headspace or even a video on YouTube!

• Remove distractions

Distractions can come in all shapes and sizes, but the biggest one for me (and I imagine you too) is my phone. I’ve been loving the Hold app to keep me off my phone whilst I’m working. You can even rack up points to donate to charity or purchase vouchers!

Watch this video to see how I put this into action and learn my de-stress routine!

Hope this helps!

Joelle

See what help Student Services is providing at this time!