As previously mention on Travel Update, electrification works are upcoming on the Great Western Line at Bath to greatly improve the service available.
But how will this affect your commute?
Well, in a nutshell:
- between 18 to 31 July: There will be a reduction in services between Bath and Chippenham and journeys via Melksham.
- between 1 August to 31 August: The railway between Chippenham and Bath and Trowbridge to Bath will be closed.
For cyclists who use the train:
- There will be limited capacity on trains between Bristol Temple Meads and Bath.
- The rail replacement double decker service between Trowbridge / Bradford on Avon and Bath and between Chippenham and Bath will have no facility to carry bikes.
- The rail replacement coach service between Frome / Westbury and Bath will have very limited capacity to carry bikes.
Basically the clear message to customers with bikes is to leave them at your local station and then hire a bike in Bath (Nextbike cycle hire scheme, has a hire station at Bath Spa Railway Station, and at the locations shown below).
You can get more information about all the railway disruptions here.