Vice-Chancellor's Office

Updates and events both on and off campus

Monthly message October 2014

📥  Messages

I write this monthly message during one of our busiest and most exciting weeks – the beginning of the new academic semester. Our new students have settled in well during their first week and I enjoyed welcoming many of them as part of their induction process. They are now joined by those returning students in years two, three and four as teaching starts once again creating a really vibrant campus atmosphere.

The month of September has been a busy one. We welcomed international delegates from nine of our partner institutions to the Institute for Policy Research’s (IPR) inaugural International Partners Policy Symposium entitled ‘Lost Youth in the 21st Century’. This provided a unique opportunity for our researchers to network and share ideas with colleagues from institutions around the world. It was particularly pleasing to hear that so many young researchers who are just setting out on their academic careers were able to attend.

Last week saw the official opening of The HIVE - our new £1 million research facility to help reduce the carbon footprint of buildings. This building is the first of its kind in the UK and was officially opened by our Chancellor HRH The Prince Edward. The event created a great deal of industry excitement and media interest, and I’m sure we will be hearing lots more about the innovative research going on there in the coming months.

I had the chance to talk about our world-leading research and the ongoing investment in our campus when I was invited as a guest of Bath Life’s Business Clubthis week. It was a great opportunity to talk to Bath’s senior business people about our University and to share some of our recent successes and achievements.

Looking ahead to October I am delighted our Chancellor will be hosting a dinner next week at Buckingham Palace for a group of the University’s most eminent friends and supporters as we start the build-up to our 50th anniversary celebrations in 2016.

He will then be joining me on his first official international engagement for the University when we travel to the Far East at the end of October. First stop will be the British Embassy in Seoul, South Korea, where we will host an event not only for alumni but also for educational partners and corporate contacts. The next evening we move on to Hong Kong to another event - this time for one of our most thriving groups of alumni.

Closer to home I visited the Department of Biology & Biochemistry yesterday and will be spending time with the Department of Psychology on 14 October. Updates on both departmental visits will be added to the homepage in due course.

The following day, 15 October, will see the official launch of the Academic Skills Centre (ASC) which was formerly known as the English Language Centre. The ASC delivers a number of different programmes and services for students and staff to support them in their studies, research or work at the University. You will be hearing more about this as we get nearer to the launch.

Finally, looking further ahead to the autumn the first Let’s Talk of the new academic year will take place on 4 November and I’m looking forward to hearing your questions and comments. As with our last Let’s Talk I’m keen to hear what areas you would like me to cover in my update at the start of the meeting. There will be more details about this on the homepage in the next few days.