Zoomix

Understanding the mixing generated by zooplankton

First visit to Vobster Quay

, ,

📥  Measurement, Vobster

Vobster Quay from the jetty

Vobster Quay from the jetty

5 days ago (12th May - yes my 28th birthday!), my supervisor and I went to  Vobster Quay to do some preliminary measurments and check if that lake was suitable for my research.

Vobster is a natural lake 40 minutes from Bath (https://goo.gl/maps/EaqO8) with a maximum depth of 40 meters, very deep if compared to other nearby lakes. Vobster is a diving centre opened 7 days a week (yes, also during winter) and if you like diving there are nice and cool attractions to see!

Thanks also to Tim - the site manager - we collected Temperature profiles in three different point in the lake (see image below)  by using our mini nuclear weapon CTD (check this image out if you don't know what I mean). The CTD measures the Conductivity, Temperature and Depth once triggered and dropped into the water. Temperature in fact represents an essential and useful information in lakes and oceans as well.

blog_temp

Vobster Quay map with temperature profiles of 3 points

The image above show the result our first measurements. All the points have the same Temperature profile with a maximum on the surface of 13C and a bottom temperature of 6.5C. These are typical profiles you can find in a lake where the Temperature typically decreases with depth with a drastic variation as moving to the lake bottom - this is called thermocline. In this case the variation happens between 10 and 15 meters for point C.

Usually the change is more abrupt and you can really feel the difference between surface and colder bottom water when diving. So if you plan to dive at such depths, make sure to wear a proper wetsuit! Personally diving at 10C (under 12 m in point C) is too cold for me also with a wetsuit 🙂

2 Responses to “First visit to Vobster Quay”