Support in accommodation
Despite the unusual circumstances in the last year, our team has been working around the clock to make sure our students are cared for and supported.
Here’s just some of the ways we’ve provided support…
Student Living Ambassadors
We introduced Student Living Ambassadors to provide support to everyone in our accommodation and help you feel part of our community. Watch our video to see how they can help you during your first year here:
Our dedicated Student Accommodation Security team is available to help 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Watch our video to find out what they do to make the University campus and our accommodation as safe as possible:
Last year, our Security team also safely transported over 400 students to and from COVID-19 test centres.
Socialising as a household
Due to government guidance on COVID-19, each house or flat is currently treated as one household. Although this means you can’t socialise with students from other accommodation, there has still been an extensive programme of events to enjoy, a great way to explore campus and the city.
Food and drink
We have a wide range of places to eat on campus. Due to COVID-19 government guidance, some of these are temporarily closed, but some are still open serving takeaway food and drink. Although indoor seating areas aren’t open, there’s various locations where you can sit outside. There’s also a small supermarket on campus, selling groceries, household good and food to go.
We provide support to anyone that develops COVID-19 symptoms and needs to isolate. This includes everything from delivering food and doing your laundry, to loans of gym equipment and board games to help you keep entertained. Watch our video about how we’ve been supported students in isolation:
What else we did in 2020
- We supported overseas students that needed to quarantine, by providing accommodation and food deliveries.
- If anyone was unable to move into their accommodation during the usual arrival period, they were not charged for their accommodation until after 31 October.
- The moving in period was spread over five days rather than two. Key collection points were also moved outdoors to marquees.
- The accommodation was deep cleaned before new students arrived and during their stay here.
- We now only offer single room accommodation, shared rooms are no longer an option.
- All bedrooms now have a wash basin installed.
- Our accommodation teams are operating in cohorts, to help minimise risk.