August 2: Reconnect

Posted in: Uncategorised

And as we begin to discover spare time, and rest, we turn to our Lord and saviour. I love the psalms as heart songs. They were of course the prayer book that Jesus used. Psalm 27 verse 4 says:

One thing I ask. This is what I seek. That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek his will in the temple.

And I believe that when we do stop and think of our God, and we seek to draw close to him, we become aware of the things in our lives – thoughts, words and deeds - that have marred our relationship with him. We know that we can seek his forgiveness. Jesus tells of the joy in heaven over one sinner who repents. So take this step (one of the great ‘therefores’ in New Testament writing).

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.  (Hebrews 12: 1-3)

And note here that we can be encouraged by each other – not disheartened.

Sometimes we can become unaware of how bowed down we have become. Our daily need to ask for forgiveness can sometimes mask the fact that in Christ’s name we are forgiven.  Christians are “forgiven sinners with L plates on”.

To feel this forgiveness is to re-find our heart and our confidence in him. We feel reconnected!

Nigel

Posted in: Uncategorised