First Missionaries, Wise Men & a New Way

Posted in: Uncategorised

The excitement is over, the carols have been sung, mince pies eaten and the baby is born!

Two events in the Christmas story always inspire me. The first, on Christmas night, is the story of the shepherds - ordinary people going about their work – work which will have kept them apart from their friends in the community. They worked at night with their sheep. There was also, I am sure, a certain smell about them. On this night there they were, suddenly startled by the overflow of exuberant joy from heaven. It is as if the angels, learning that Jesus is safely born, can’t wait to tell the good news.

“I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Saviour has been born to you. He is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you. You will find a baby wrapped in clothes and lying in a manger.” (Luke 2: 10-12)

The angels sing ‘glory’. After they go, the shepherds say ‘let’s go and see’. They do, and then return to tell their friends. These are the first missionaries, and set an example that we can relate to. Theirs also is a way of life and care that Jesus models. No wonder he too calls himself a shepherd.

“I am the Good Shepherd, I know my sheep and my sheep know me.” (John 10: 11)

The second event recorded by Matthew, is the visit of the Wise Men. These astrologers must have stared their journey from a distant land many weeks previously. They arrive, worship and bring their gifts of significance – glory, kingship and suffering. The Wise Men represent something different – the sovereignty of Jesus Christ over the world, its principalities and powers, and a salvation plan for all that points ahead to the events of Easter.

The Wise Men are changed by the experience, they return to their homeland by another route – a new way (Luke 2: 12).

I believe that when we encounter Jesus in a way that deepens our faith, then we begin a process of lifelong learning. As Paul writes:

“Therefore I urge you brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God – this is your spiritual act of worship. DO not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is - His good, pleasing and perfect will.” (Romans 12: 1, 2)

What an encouraging train of thought as we prepare to return to university life and study. As we start the New Year what new ways will you walk in?

Nigel

Posted in: Uncategorised