One Part Of The Body Is Wounded, So We All Hurt

Posted in: Uncategorised

“There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and everyone it is the same God at work. Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ, for we were all baptised by one Spirit so as to form one body – whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free – and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. And so the body is not made of one part but of many. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it.” (1 Corinthians 12: 4-6, 12-14, 26a)

I, like many of us, have been profoundly disturbed at the unfolding events in Ukraine. This has been more than shock and horror. It is a deep feeling – there is a new uncertainty and worry. I have noted with interest that the students who I meet do not necessarily have the same type of concern (though they are still unsettled). I have realised that they do not remember the last Cold War or the Berlin Wall coming down: they will not recall the joy and relief we had when there was no longer this division.

Compounding this is the image of a world leader who, because of his actions, is now (probably irreparably) isolated. His country is profoundly unstable on the international stage. His actions call into question his humanity and balance; how much further do we go towards a delusional state and the use of weapons of mass destruction?

I took advice last week from a spiritual mentor, a Roman Catholic nun who has travelled with me for 27 years. She knows me well. We talked about Paul’s writing in 1 Corinthians 12. She helped me see that this degree of unsettlement and hurt is a kind of empathy, both with the people of Ukraine and surrounding areas (our brothers and sisters), and also a spiritual empathy with the God that we believe in. We can assume that the battles on earth between the ‘powers of darkness’ and ‘powers of good’ are mirrored by spiritual battles in the heavens. For a reference look at Daniel 10, when the messenger sent by God was delayed by 21 days.

This was helpful. She went on to talk about our task as people who believe and trust in Christ. She pointed out that the powers of darkness would be delighted to see Christians becoming fearful and afraid, demoralised and uncertain, particularly if this became a block to effective prayer. She quoted an old saying – “The sound of a tree branch breaking is louder than the sound of the rest of the forest growing quietly.”.

I left encouraged that we should not be afraid, or be distracted by the horror we see. We should look for the many acts of bravery and kindness in this situation, for example, the numbers of Russian conscripts deserting in Ukraine, the amazing acts of kindness of other countries particularly Poland towards fleeing refugees, or the active underground resistance in Russia. There is much to pray for.

Finally, back to the students. I have realised that although many may not have the experience to see and feel as I do, they will be looking to faith leaders to see how we are dealing with the news we hear. We must encourage each other to keep going - and praying!

Nigel Rawlinson

Posted in: Uncategorised