Editing pdf files

Posted in: Digital Data & Technology Group

A few people have asked me about editing a pdf file.  You can do this in Microsoft Word 2013 or 2016 as well as in Adobe Acrobat.

Editing a PDF using Microsoft Word

There are a couple of ways that I open the pdf file. Most of the time I locate the file in File Explorer and then notice it’s a pdf file. To open it from here, right-click on it, select ‘Open with’ and then select ‘Word…’. Alternatively, you can start Word and locate/open the file as you would a normal Word document.

When you open the file you will see a message about converting it to an editable Word document (and that this may take a while) – just click on “OK”.

Once it's open in Word, just treat it as a normal Word document – make your changes and save it. If you click on the “Save” button or press [Ctrl]&[S], you’ll see the 'Save As' window with the same file name as the pdf and the document type reset to 'Word document'. If you want to save the file as a pdf, just click on the drop-down arrow by ‘Word Document’ and select ‘PDF’.

Check over your document

In the past, I’ve noticed a few bits that have been ‘lost in translation’ when opening a PDF file, including contents pages (which I have removed and created again) and one or two headings that have lost their first letter to the previous page (resolved by a quick bit of deleting and retyping), so it's a good idea to proof read (or at least spell check).

Microsoft provides guidance on editing PDF content in Word.

Bye for now,

John