IWMW2008: The road to Aberdeen...

Posted in: Archive

Later today Tom Natt, Phil Wilson and myself will set off for Aberdeen to attend the annual Institutional Web Managers Workshop (organised by our colleagues in UKOLN).

I have been attending the event since 2001 and it's always a good opportunity to catch up with colleagues across the HE sector to compare stories, be inspired and to generally talk about the web.

I recall Peter Reader (former Director of Marketing and Communications at Bath) attending last year and talking of a merger between the Computing and Marketing web teams but I would never have envisaged I'd be heading up that team twelve months on.

Following a talk I gave last July I've been asked to return to reflect on my views/experiences in managing web teams in two very different Universities. Formerly the Head of Web Services at Edge Hill University, I'll be talking about my experiences thus far and answering the question "have my views about how to use the web changed now I'm in a research-led institution?"

As usual slides are available on slideshare and further information can be found on the UKOLN website.

[slideshare id=518867&doc=alisonwildishiwmw2008-1216400648157784-8&w=425]

I'm not the only one putting myself in the spotlight this year. Colleagues Tom and Phil will be delivering a workshop session entitled "What's the Point of having Developers in a Web 2.0 World?" which looks set to be interesting. Selfishly I only hope they can find a point as I'd like to keep them both on the team!

The workshop has a great line up this year. It looks set to be interesting and sufficiently controversial so I'm looking forward to lots of food for thought!

Posted in: Archive