My first development project

Posted in: Archive

The PHP code
The PHP code

My day to day job as a Web Supporter is to answer queries and sort out technical issues relating to various systems surrounding the University of Bath website. My life doesn’t solely revolve around RT though! I have started to perform development tasks alongside my main role in order to improve processes, solve issues and assist the rest of the development team.

The first development project I have been given is to improve the way that Public Lecture Podcasts appear in iTunes. This involved creating some scripts using PHP.

I first had to work out what tags needed to be included and added to the mp3 files and generate an XML file based on this information using the iTunes guidelines for adding podcasts. This required quite a bit of research in order to make sure that they got added to iTunes correctly. I created a script that generated the XML file and another to add tags to the mp3 files. I noticed that the existing procedure for adding common tags manually to all mp3 files was prone to error so I automated this to eliminate this issue. I also used the Zend framework in order to get some of the functions I wanted to implement working correctly.

I have had some issues along the way, just as any developer does, where I have wanted to throw the monitor out of the window. However, you just have to sit back and reflect and even come at it with a fresh pair of eyes later on. Assistance from my colleagues from time to time was always very much appreciated!

I have a few more development opportunities on the horizon which will no doubt keep me out of mischief for a long time to come.

Posted in: Archive