What I've learned in my first few weeks as a developer

Posted in: Development, DMC team

A little over two weeks ago, I started a new job in the Digital team as a Junior Developer.

While this job is new to me, the team isn't – I first joined in January 2014 as a Content Producer. But I'd been thinking about a possible move to development for a while, and found myself taking every opportunity to nose around our codebase and ask questions about how things worked. This escalated to building stuff in my free time (like a Rails app that makes it easier for our office to plan our massive orders for Schwartz Bros burgers). After a slightly scary interview, I was lucky to get the best of both worlds: moving my career in a new direction while staying with the team I've loved being part of for the last few years.

My new mission: build cool stuff that makes our users' lives easier. And while I've only just started, I've already learned a lot.

Turns out I am OK at this

Since this is my first job in development, I was a little nervous that it would take me a while to get up to speed and become a useful member of the team.

Fortunately, Phil and Tom apparently didn't share my nerves and had already drawn up a healthy to-do list for me to tackle. I was excited to be shipping code within my first week.

After getting through three relatively small stories, I moved on to my first bigger feature: making it possible for users to choose the order in which Team Profile list their members. As with all our team's work, this is now being reviewed by another developer and I'm looking forward to the feedback.

Content and development skills do overlap

The day-to-day of content and development might look pretty different. But our team shares a single set of Digital Principles, and those principles work for content, design and development alike.

Many of the things that were important when I was a Content Producer are still important as a Junior Developer, from working in an Agile way to taking the time to properly document processes and decisions. And striking the right balance of being clear and concise is valuable for writing both content and code.

Having experienced the challenges of content production and transition for myself, I also hope that will help me bring some unique insights to our development work.

Looking like a cool hacker

I've spent more time in the command line this fortnight than I probably have in my life. There's a lot to remember, but I'm already starting to see how it can speed up my workflow.

I've also started using the text editor Vim, which comes with Unix and is accessed through the command line. Vim looks arcane and terrifying. But it's actually not that difficult to get to grips with and has already saved me time.

Looking cool is still a perk.

Shipping useful things feels great

The first piece of work I shipped was a pretty small change to the list of all items in the Content Publisher. Previously, Person Profiles were just listed by the role holder name. I amended this to include the person's name as well.

This was a small tweak, but it solved a problem our users had been struggling with for a while – picking one Senior Lecturer out of a list of dozens is frustrating if you have to check each one individually.

Pushing to production to a round of applause felt really good. Knowing that it's something users have been looking forward to made it feel even better.

Development is fun

Okay, I already knew this from doing it in my free time. But it turns out it's fun professionally too. (Whew!)

Getting stuck on a problem can be frustrating, but the thrill of "it works!" when I finally hit the solution has yet to get old.

I'm also fortunate that everyone else is happy to answer questions, offer advice and help me out when I get stuck. Making things on my own was fun, but I prefer being part of the team. And I'm looking forward to continuing to learn.

Also, we're hiring right now – find out more about working in the Digital team.

Posted in: Development, DMC team