Goodbye titles are hard

Posted in: DMC team

This is my last week as an employee of the University of Bath. I have been coming up The Hill daily for roughly the last fifteen years - first as a student, then as staff - so it's an emotional time.

The University has changed significantly in that time, and yet there is a strong sense of the familiar everywhere I look. The library is a great example - all new equipment and an improved layout but I still see the corners I used to haunt as a mathematics undergraduate more than a decade ago. The places my group used to sit and puzzle through the latest problem sheet and the floor where we definitely didn't create a small camp during an all-night coursework session.

Similarly, the Web Team / Web Application Team / Web Services / Digital has changed people, moved department, moved offices three to five times (depending how you count it) and yet the belief in the web and the desire to build the best and most interesting things we can remains the same.

I've been in this team a long time and learned a huge amount. I started as a junior developer (not that we had that title at the time) and learned about Java and PHP web development as well as the various bits of infrastructure underpinning all this. I wrote Personfinder, which eight years on is still a favourite application amongst our users and I found some notes the other day where one of the sysadmins in BUCS (as it was then) took me through restoring servers from tape backup. Fortunately I have never had to use that information!

After several years of application development we moved our focus to OpenCMS and thus began the first great CMS transition where we moved a load of Dreamweaver sites into the new system. Through this time we were still developing applications and looking at new ways to be productive. It was around then we first dabbled in Scrum and Agile with positive, if mixed results.

Many years of CMS work later, we saw changes in government and their approach to digital and this heralded the rise of GDS, the coming of Ross and the second great CMS transition. We retooled to use Ruby on Rails, growing in confidence as a software house and built our own content management system. The last few years have seen concentrated development resulting in a system we are all proud of and which is making genuinely positive changes in content publishing around the University.

I've learned so much in my time here, and I am incredibly grateful for the opportunities. One of the great things about the Digital team here is the openness to change and the chance to develop beyond the traditional bounds of the job description. I am moving on to become a Lead Developer at GDS and I can honestly say that wouldn't be happening if not for my experiences here.

So, after 53 Show & Tell presentations, thousands of lines of code, hundreds of retrospectives, loads of accepted features (and more than a few rejected...), dozens of slightly terrifying server repairs, a couple of conference talks and one instance of the bringing down the entire University website it is time to move on.

I will look back on my time here with fondness and I'm going to miss everyone here a great deal. So long and thanks for all the commits.

Posted in: DMC team

• Bye Tom! Enjoy London. A shame I never got the chance to beat you at MarioKart... 🙂