Hello world: my first two months in Digital

Posted in: DMC team

It's a little bit strange to be writing a post like this after saying goodbye to three of our team. Liam, Kelv and Tom were (... but they're not dead, so are?) amazing people to work with for the last two and a bit months, and while I haven't known them as long as the rest of the team here, I miss them.

There's something in that sentiment that speaks volumes about my first two months here: everyone has done so much to help me get up to speed and feel welcome that it already feels like I've been here for an age (though not aeons like Tom Natt).

Where I come from

Before the University, I worked for Apple just down the hill as part of their business to business team. I can't say anything bad about Apple--it's a great place to work, and I wouldn't be here now without my experiences there. But as great as it was, I was always searching for something more to push me, something that would open up more creative possibilities.

My education isn't in the STEM world, or services--I'm trained as an actor. I have left this behind for the most part, but the root drive to be creative has never left.

Joining Digital

Over the last couple of years I've been inching my way towards software development. At first it seemed too good to be true--work that was challenging, equal parts logic and creativity, embraced learning constantly, and lead to financial solvency (!). I was worried that I'd find I hated it, that the combination of logic and creativity was a myth, that learning would cease after a while.

The more I exposed myself to it, the more convinced I became that it was the *right move* for me. A way to feel excited about even the small things I do day to day.

I'm not a developer--I'm not there yet. But Digital is an opportunity for me to learn alongside developers while supporting them and the Product Owner with what I'm already great at: service management. As the Digital Supporter most of my time is spent on the latter, but more and more I'm handling technical tickets and requests myself.

Being part of Digital

Right now I'm working on building an app that will pull together our service management statistics for us from the last month. Right now it's a mostly manual process.

Our service ticket tool has an API that exposes all the data we need though, so the idea is to use that to request all of our data there, compile it into a human friendly spreadsheet, create some handy charts, and have it emailed directly to our stakeholders automatically every month.

It's not much yet, but I have a pretty good idea of how all the different pieces work together, which is a huge victory in and of itself.

I still can't quite believe how lucky I am to work somewhere that encourages this kind of learning and development into what is technically a different job role, and to have colleagues both still present and departed, who are willing to help me as I teach myself.

It has been a great first two months. I look forward to each and every month to come.

My first two months in numbers

• 1 Show and Tell
  • 1 accepted pull request for our blog styling
  • 1 deleted blog (not related to the PR...)
  • 1 restored blog (directly related to the deleted blog...)
  • 2 apple pies baked (even though I'm a heathen American and don't watch Bake Off, I was in the Bake Off pool)
  • 10 board games played
  • 960 support tickets resolved
  • 14 new friends made (d'aww)

Posted in: DMC team

• I hope you have as much fun being the Digital Supporter as I did. Make it your own!