So I'm back with some more top tips about research placements! I think that research placements are very different from other work placements, and so I will try to share as much information as I can about specifically doing a research placement. So below is my advice for preparing to start the placement. If you don't have time to watch the short video, then the key takeaway would be to remember the placement year does not need to be a source of stress! It will be exciting if you just relax and let it be!
Tip #1: Know your goals
- Note down some skills that you would like to work on
- Be proactive and enthusiastic
- Keep looking for opportunities throughout, not just as the start
Tip #2: Minimise your background reading
- Don't read everything before you go - wait till you know what is relevant or useful
- Doing too much research beforehand can limit your ability to learn and adapt whilst there
- Focus on key concepts or research methods, to show a general understanding/preparedness
Tip #3: R - E - L - A - X
- Pack your summer with all the things you love
- Be professional - know where to go, how to dress etc. but beyond that, don't stress
- You'll be at your professional best when your mind is at your best
Check out the video below to hear me talk through these tips!