My pros and cons of studying Sociology

Posted in: Choosing a course, Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences

I get it, choosing a degree is no easy feat, nor is it a decision you should take lightly.

So, to save you from Googling and having 13534745 tabs open (yes, that was me), here are 10 Reasons You SHOULD & SHOULDN’T study Sociology.

Watch video versions with more info HERE & HERE.

5 Reasons Why You SHOULD Study Sociology

1. You’ll be more adaptable for a fast-changing world

You’ll learn not only the what, but the WHY and HOW the world came to be how it is today. At its core, Sociology is the study of society which means that you’ll be well equipped for the future.

1. Lots of interesting topics

Some units that you can currently take whilst studying Sociology at the University of Bath include Sociology of Death, Gender, Sexuality, Science & Technology, Power in Society and much more.

Follow this link for all the available BSc Sociology units for the year 2020 – 2021

1. Looks great on your Curriculum Vitae

If you’re thinking of your CV as well, Sociology immediately screams critical and creative thinking. It requires a huge degree of deep analysis and thinking outside of the box.

1. Diverse career opportunities

Despite what you may hear from other people, in terms of career opportunities, studying Sociology is quite similar to studying Geography or History. Sociology will give you flexible and transferable skills going into your working life.

And, no. Going into Social Work requires a Social Work degree so you can say that to anyone that asks you if you want to be a social worker… Trust me I’ve had my fair share.

1. Placement opportunities

At Bath, you’re given the opportunity to go on placement so grab it with both hands! You’ll gain invaluable experience and, hopefully, some income too. Some of the placements I know people have gone on include government internships and marketing roles.

5 Reasons Why You SHOULDN’T Study Sociology

1. If you think it’s going to be an easy subject

Unfortunately, if you have that mindset, you’ll be shocked at the depth of the course content. The critical analysis needed will also surprise you.

1. If you don’t like writing essays

This is pretty self-explanatory. Sociology is heavily coursework and essay-based. Of course, you’ll still have exams and some quantitative work on data programmes, but it’ll mostly be writing (or typing).

1. Perceived to be an unemployable degree

You’re not alone if this is your biggest concern for studying Sociology. In points 3, 4 and 5 in “10 Reasons Why You SHOULD Study Sociology”, I outline some benefits in studying Sociology for career opportunities.

This really boils down to two things. 1. What you think the purpose of a degree and job are. And 2. How much you enjoy Sociology. If you think the purpose of a degree is to get a job and make lots of money, then perhaps don’t do Sociology! Joking aside, that's not to say you can't make good money with a Sociology degree – after all it is what you do with it that really counts.

At the moment, Bath’s sociology degree is 2nd and 3rd for graduate prospects and Career after 15 months in three leading leagues tables SO if you truly love Sociology, finding jobs that align with your values will come easily afterwards.

1. If you don’t want to know what’s REALLY going on in the world

Studying Sociology forces you to look at the different social injustices and power in the world. Quite honestly, I do just want to bury my head in the sand sometimes, but I’ll always know that this knowledge is invaluable.

1. If you’re happy living in your own bubble

Similarly, you’ll also reflect on your own life and how social forces (sexism, racism etc) have shaped your life. When studying this alongside students from all over the UK, you’ll realise just how much of a bubble you’ve been living in – I certainly did.

In summary:

My advice will always be to only study Sociology if you genuinely enjoy and are interested in it. Then, you’ll get the most of your university experience.

Watch the video below for more info!

Click for more information on BSc Sociology.