5 Biggest Lessons From My 3 Years at Uni

Posted in: Final Year thoughts

Now that I've (almost) come to the end of my time at the University, now's a good time to reflect on my entire university experience and what I'd tell myself at the start.

If you're a  prospective uni student, sit tight and digest all the wisdom coming for you!

Watch the video for a summary or keep scrolling to read my thoughts!

1. Take every opportunity that comes your way

As they say, what's the point of going to university if you don't leave with a network of contacts? This can be anyone from your lecturers to friends you meet at Baking Soc! You never know when they might come in handy or when you may be able to help them out in the future too.

Similarly, go to societies - even if you don't end up sticking with it. You could even meet your best friends there!

2. Don't dwell on something for too long

Got a lower mark than expected? Missed a lecture? Didn't secure a placement?

Yeah, that's me. Don't get hung up on it!

It might seem like the end of the world at the time but in hindsight after 3 whole years, I can firmly say that none of it matters in the long run. For example, I didn't secure a placement year, but I'm still here and thriving within and outside university!

Read this blog post if you want to hear about my placement journey.

3. Get out of your bubble + comfort zone

I grew up in and around London in a pretty ethnically-diverse area. I took it for granted! It was a shock when I arrived in Bath and realised that non-cosmopolitan cities in the UK ... for lack of a better phrase... aren't so diverse.

So let's face it, most of us have been sheltered our whole lives up till going to university. It is a privilege, but when you get to university, you grow up a whole lot - and it's fun!

Go try things you've never done before, join a new society (check out the SU's website for a full list), meet new people.

4. Don't be afraid to have boundaries

Everyone and everything will want your attention at uni, so make sure you have time for yourself. I made the mistake of feeling obliged to attend events though I really didn't want to go, so be selective but also adventurous (as per Point 3).

Because if you don't want to go, you won't enjoy it. Remember, you are also at university to study so try to balance out your work and play.

5. Rest up! It affects all parts of your life!

This summarises everything I said before. If you're not resting properly, your mental and physical health will suffer. This is why boundaries are important to ensure that you're putting your health first.

I'm a bit of a workaholic and I have a million projects aside from uni - teaching English, life coaching, podcasting to name just a few - so I have experienced burnout many a time.

Take it from me - drink your water, sleep at least 8 hours most nights, move once a day and eat well!

A few last words from me...

This will be my final blog post so thanks for following along if you've read any of my posts in the last 3 years. This would've never happened had I not taken the opportunity for Student Life Ambassador back in 1st year (following my own tips!).

Remember: Freedom isn't about doing whatever you want, freedom is doing what you're built for.

So, use university as an opportunity to build you up to who you really are.

Joelle 🙂

P.s. I'm happy to speak more on my experience at Uni of Bath, just email me or visit my Youtube channel.

Posted in: Final Year thoughts

Read these other final year thoughts blog posts for inspiration